Module 3: Gershom Espinoza

2. Do the ends justify the means (ends ethics vs. means ethics)?
I’ll take the road less traveled here and say both (read forwards and backwards). First, reading it forward, the end goal should justify the process of how one sets about to accomplish their “ends” because the end purpose itself shouldn’t be compromised. However, by the very same token, the means of how one sets about to accomplish their goal should adhere to the principle of the “goal” as close as possible. While very hard to stick to both in life, by using both sets of standards, I for one can see how far I have compromised in what I wanted to achieve and in how I went about doing it. An example can be found between the Soviet Union and the U.S. during the cold war specifically on the “peace talks” amongst the arms race. Regardless of when the peace talks (meaning mutual agreements not use weapons of mass destruction) began, what’s more important to consider is that while the talks were ongoing both nations were still stockpiling nuclear warheads and countless other weapons. The “ends” or in this case, peace talks, were compromised by how both nations set out to achieve that, which was to strategically have more weapons than the other nation thereby forcing defeat. Granted self-preservation was a key role, but looking back upon such similar agreements, it seems silly to have peace talks or treaties when the very same participating countries are boosting their military capabilities thereby ironically showing no faith or trust in the “binding” word of nations. (Yes, I understand we don’t live in a utopia but as I once read…fighting for peace is like “screwing” for virginity)
1.Is it more important to be a good person or to perform good acts (virtue ethics vs. action ethics)?
Performing good acts is better than being a good person or better yet a person with “good” intentions. Though words can be an excellent means of expression, actions dictate what actually occurs and as actions usually have motive behind them; I consider actions “intentions or ideas” acted upon. While words can influence our actions, when one is changing a habit it is the act of repetitively changing or altering what one wishes to change that quite frankly demonstrates more willpower. For example, growing up on the typical American/Hispanic diet I considered myself healthy because my diet addressed most if not all needs in addition to the fact that I was a very active teenager. Around early high school however, I had above average blood pressure which especially shocked me because I would spend around 4 hours minimum (no exaggeration) on training for sports plus actual sports practice. Tired of hearing about eating “healthy” (I am not condoning the typical American/ Hispanic diet; rather I changed my diet to address a health concern) I decided to significantly change my everyday diet for the rest of my life (but right now taking it a month at a time) starting this year and so far I have stuck to my goal. However, when the actions of a collective group of people aren’t working as effectively or efficiently then that is when it is more important to step back from the situation and look at the options, then DO IT (Shia Labeouf style!). Lastly, intentions can only do so much but actions; history is full of people who performed extraordinarily good deeds.
4. Do ecosystems matter for their own sake, or do they only matter to the extent that they impact humans (ecocentric ethics vs. anthropocentric ethics)?
Personally, I favor the anthropocentric view more so than an ecocentric outtake. As I see it, if humans didn’t exist it would make no difference as to how “nature ran its course per se.” Besides the obvious bias, I also look at ecosystems from the point of view that humans are the only animals who can significantly alter the landscape they live upon. (In terms of sheer number and size of objects humans have and could make in the history of mankind) Due to this “craftsmanship” ability I look at how the ecosystem could best serve the interests of humans (because of the unique capabilities we have) at the sacrifice of the animals who aren’t represented in the “decision making” process. Though again, I would take great care as to preserve or conserve part of the ecosystem so as to make sure resources weren’t being outstripped compared to their replenishing rates.