Natalie Hall Ethics M03

1. Is it more important to be a good person or to perform good acts (virtue ethics vs. action ethics)?

The popular quote, “you are who you are when no ones looking” helped me decide that being a good person is more important than just preforming good acts. Virtue ethics is described as what you should be, and action ethics is described as what you should do. When put this way, it seems like action is better because it implies that you make an active change in the world, compared to just being apart of the world. However, I interpreted that preforming good acts comes with being a good person. I see a good person as someone who’s second nature is to preform good acts, not just when they are being watched or are expected to.

1. Does the process by which decisions are made matter more than the outcomes of these decisions (procedural justice vs. distributive justice)?

I think the outcomes of the decisions matter more than the process by which the decisions are created. The considerations before the decision are still important however, one cannot predict every factor and component of the outcome. Also, once the decision is made it is final, the consequences of what happen have to be dealt with no matter what. The unpredictability of the world causes me to think the outcomes matter more, and to deal with the flow as it happens on a natural course. We as humans can do everything to control each other and the environment, but we will never be able to create a flawless process, so the outcomes are overall more impactful.

3.Do the pleasure and pain of non-human animals matter as much as the pleasure and pain of humans (speciesism)?

Morally yes, the pleasure and pain of non-human organisms should matter just as much as you and me. However, through animal testing, zoos, and the destruction of ecosystems, I see that we are not on the same scale. Maybe it is because humans can relate to one another with pain and pleasure, but we cannot experience how a dog, for example, experiences these things. As much as I would like to think other animals feelings of pain and pleasure as much as mine, my inability to connect with non-human species make me believe that my fellow humans matter more.

One thought on “Natalie Hall Ethics M03

1. Hey Natalie! I chose your post based on our different views. Check my post out here https://wp.me/p3RCAy-bj0

In question number one, you and I have different views of which is better. I really like your post because I am clearly able to see the issue from your point of view. In fact I agree with the point you made about good people will typically be ones who do good things. Another part of your post that I enjoyed was how you tackled the non-human animal vs human question. I agree that we cannot understand what other animals are feeling, so it’s hard for us to grasp the concept of being on the same level as them.
    Great post!