Module Four: Water Tracking & Usage – Tyler Pegarella

1-a: My hometown of Hunlock Creek, Pennsylvania, is a very rural area and relies on private residential wells. Precipitation reaches the surface and is infiltrated through the soil. Next, the water must percolate through any rock layers, as it makes its way into aquifers to become groundwater. Water that does not infiltrate into the ground becomes surface runoff, travelling into tributaries which eventually flow into the nearby Susquehanna River. My personal well is about 200 feet deep while wells in the Hunlock Creek area range from 100-1000 feet deep. Most wells use pumps to propel water into homes, while Sulphur and sediment are common issues. Additionally, well water does not contain fluoride. Wastewater exits the home and either enters a septic tank (toilets etc.), or a drainage field (laundry etc.). Septic tanks must be occasionally cleaned. Drainage fields run water through several layers of rock, clay and soil, aiming to clean the water of any harmful contaminants and project it away from the home’s well.

1-b: It should be noted that living in the dorms and not preparing my own meals saves a considerable amount of water compared to living completely independently.

One Shower (Five Minutes): 25 gallons

Brushing Teeth Twice: .5 gallons

Flushing Toilet Six Times: 18 gallons

Washing Hands or Face Seven Times: 3.5 gallons

Drinking Water: 1 gallon

Total Daily Water Consumption: 48 gallons

1-c: I planned on limiting my water use to two gallons for one day by taking a military shower (only using water to get sudsy and rinse), using mouthwash instead of toothpaste and only using water-saving toilets. To make the experiment as realistic as possible, I only drank water for the day, as people in third world countries may not have access to other drinks. Between five meals, a workout and protein shake, I consumed about 64 ounces of water. At one gallon per flush, I was well over the two gallon limit by the evening (6.5 gallons total). I attempted a military shower, and probably used about five gallons overall (11.5 gallons total). Between six quick hand washings and one face washing, I would estimate I used around 1.5 gallons (13 gallons total). Although I was able to cut down my water usage considerably (35 gallons less), it seems almost impossible to abide by the social norms of a modern society while only using two gallons of water. Geography matters because it dictates how much water a person can afford to use. The recent drought in the Western United States was a result of a dry climate. Countries like Saudi Arabia can afford to use practices like desalinization, while poorer nations often depend on surface water and makeshift wells. Without a sufficient amount of usable water, a population can simply not sustain itself.

2 thoughts on “Module Four: Water Tracking & Usage – Tyler Pegarella

1. Hello Tyler! My name is Rachael. I liked your 1a because I also live out in a rural area where we use wells also. I liked to read about your well informtion because it included some information about wells that I didn’t know about or include in my response. I was also wondering if you could have any potential problems such as pollution when it comes to your water source? I also enjoyed reading in 1c about your response to the struggles of people in different countries when it comes to dealing with droughts. It is important for all of us to put other countries into perspective and be thankful of what we have that other don’t. I was really interested in everything you wrote. If you’d like to check out my post, the link is
    http://sites.psu.edu/geog30/2016/02/08/module-4-rachael-donnelly/

2. Hey Tyler! My name is Cassandra and I thought your post was interesting because it was totally opposite from my hometown. In your hometown, your water source relies on private residential wells, which I have never actually heard of before I read this post. In addition, your water process also consists of percolating through any rock layers and flowing into the Susquehanna River, which was so amusing to read about since it is so different from my water source in New Jersey. However, in our two gallon experiment, you and I had similar ideas in ways to conserve water. We both work out and knew hydration was a necessity in the process, as well as cutting down a significant amount of shower time. These were similar ideas that we can take into consideration for the future in regards to conserving water, I thought you had a really great post! When you get the chance, please check out my blog!
    My blog: http://geog030.dutton.psu.edu/author/cao5241/