Learning Activity 4- Jiye Choi

1-a
I’m from South Korea. Korea is a peninsula where 3 sides of country is a sea. It means we have a lot of accesses to water. I live in small city, Yeoju 1 hour from Seoul. Seoul and Yeoju is connected with river called Hangang River. Because I don’t know much about how the water supply chain works in my hometown I searched how it works. It is such a long process to get water to my house. First, water comes from river, reservoir so on, because there is a river running through my town our source of water is river. The water goes through intake station and gauging well then examines the water. After that water passes sand basin, chemical tank, mixing basin to filter out impurities. And finally through a clean water reservoir, filter bed and the chloride injection to purify water using chemical processes before it supplies to houses. Few years ago, government built 3 reservoirs for irrigation in my town, so we are in stable situation for water supply.
1-b
Untitled

1-c
After track my water footprint of a day I realized which action takes most water usage. I needed to analysis the usage of water before I get started with attempt. Shower was the biggest part of usage, so I decided to skip my shower for a day to cut down water footprint. And by stages, I set my priorities. Drinking was essential and brushing teeth. But it was very hard to live a day with just 2 gallons of water. One time of flushing toilet is 3 gallons. It excesses the 2 gallons. As the final outcome was fail. But still I tried to cut down as much as I can do. Used cup went I brushed teeth, skipped dish washing. Compared to 1-b data, I used much less water but 2 gallons was too little for one day. We are lucky that we have plenty of water compare to Haiti and Mozambique people. For example, Africa has just small amount of water. Water depends on geography and climate because it is different with USA and Africa. Most area of Africa is desert which leads to water shortage and water shortage matters to water use. It limits the usage of water.

One thought on “Learning Activity 4- Jiye Choi

1. Hello Jiye, my name is William and I really enjoyed reading your post. I thought it was interesting to see the water systems in Korea are fairly similar to mine. It seems that the water filtration process is fairly universal in the world (filters, and chlorination). My favorite part of reading these posts are examining the way others use water. I stated in another comment that the shower lengths really pay a huge role in the water consumption. My apartment does not charge for utilities so it is tough to monitor the time in the shower. It is surprising to see the 5 gallons used every minute, which makes it difficult to use only 2 gallons of water in a day. If you would look like to take a glance at my post and see my water consumption I have attached the link below: http://geog030.dutton.psu.edu/2016/02/09/module-4-william-graf/