Module 4: Water and Its Usage

Part 1-a

The water source in my hometown, Barnesville, Pennsylvania, is from a well that is 185 feet deep.  A submersible well pump gets the water from the underground water table.  This well pump travels down a tube that is connected via wires from it to my house’s electrical box.  A rope is attached to the pump and is enclosed in the tubing too.  The rope is attached to a metal bar that is down a pit to keep it from falling totally into the water table.  The pump never touches the bottom so only water is pumped up with no dirt.  The pit is covered by a well cap.  There is a small holding tank in my basement.  When I turn on a faucet or flush the toilet, the holding tank gives the water the initial pressure to get the water through the pipes.  The electricity turns the pump on and pushes more water through the pipe and refills the tank.  After the process of using the water, it is then disposed of by going down the drain or toilet bowl with the use of gravity and water pressure.  It then goes through pipes which leads to the township sewer system.

Part 1-b             

Amount Used Per Time               Times Per Day             Amount Used

Shower:             5 Gallons Per Minute                        1 at 7mins                     35 Gallons

Teeth Brushing:  1 Gallon Per Minute                         2 at 1/2min                       1 Gallon

Hand Washing:                 1/2 Gallon                           6                                     3 Gallons

Toilet Flush:         3 Gallons Per Flush                          6                                   18 Gallons

Dishwashing by Hand:       8 Gallons                          1                                     8 Gallons

Glasses Drank:          8 oz. Per Glass                          8                                          64 oz.

Total: 65.5 Gallons

Part 1-c

When living on two gallons of water daily, I consumed one quart and used one quart to brush my teeth and wash my hands and face.  I wiped clean any dishes I could and reused them a few times.  I separated two quarts into two pans to wash and rinse the dishes. I used the other gallon to wash my hair and body.  I continually saved all the used water.  This 1 3/4 gallons of saved, used water was used to flush the toilet.  I used a quart each time, dumping it directly into the bowl so I got seven flushes.  I washed the dishes and took a bath every other day.  On the opposite day, I used the water I allotted for these to wash my clothes.  This experiment was a success but very hard to do considering the water I calculated that I use on a regular daily basis.  Having an ample, clean water supply affects how people use water.  When people have more than they need, they take it for granted and waste more than they realize.

2 thoughts on “Module 4: Water and Its Usage

1. Hi Tyler. I’m J.R. Here’s a link to my blog if you want to check it out: http://geog030.dutton.psu.edu/2016/02/10/module-4-water-tracking-and-usage/

You had some great ideas with your supply of water. I was surprised to see that you were able to do so much with so little. Also, dividing the water up for separate uses works very well. I also did something like that to show myself how much I had for each activity and to make sure I didn’t overuse water in any unnecessary ways. I also was impressed by how you did the experiment more than one day and were able to find different ways to use the 2 gallons each day for different activities.

Great blog!