David Youn Module 4

1-A.

In my hometown, Cherry Hill, which is southern part of New Jersey, uses a subterranean water well. While each household doesn’t have its own water tank, each neighborhood uses 3 common water tanks. In basements of all houses has a jet pump to pump the water throughout the houses. To conserve energy on the supplier part, the water tanks are relatively built on higher grounds to allow gravity to use its energy to send water to the pipelines. After the used water gets drained, it goes to the sewer. From here on, it goes to one of the two waste water treatment facilities that is regulated by the Camden County Municipal Utilities Authorities (CCMUA). CCMUA treats about 58 million gallons of water on a daily basis at Delaware No.1 Water Control Facility, located in Camden, and Winslow Water Pollution Control Facility. Once the water has been cleaned and purified, it repeats its cycle throughout the day.

1-B.

Purpose Water Usage (Gallon)
Shower [5 Gallons / Min] 7 minutes 35
Toilet [4 Gallons / Min] 4 Times 16
Consumption (Drinking and Eating) 1 + 0.5 = 1.5
Sanitary (Laundry, Dishes and Sanitizing) 45 + 30 + 10 = 85
Total 134.5

1-C.

The areas of water use was only in drinking. I have had decent amount of experiences in parts of the world where water is not available on a daily basis. Because of this experience I have had an easy time managing this experiment. If only 2 gallons of water is given, the highest priority is to put in consumption. It has been possible for people to survive for about 3 weeks without food. However, many predict that people can’t go longer than a week without water. In the cases for sanitary, toilet, laundry, dishes and sanitizing, is something that I did not care about. I realized that even without these necessities, it was possible to live. The strategy I took was to prioritize that absolute necessities in a day-to-day living. I concluded that drinking was my only priority. This experiment was a huge success to me. I think spending couple of weeks in Haiti during summer has helped me finish this experiment with a success. Because I was eating and drinking less, I did not use the bathroom in comparison to my regular routine. This experience is not comparable to my daily routine. Normally, I spend about 135 to 160 gallons of water. I had to cut down on mostly sanitary. Although it was a bit uncomfortable for a day, I realized how valuable is to have water whenever I need it. Geography is an extremely important factor. Because if there is a limited source of water, most peoples daily lives will change.

3 thoughts on “David Youn Module 4

1. Hello David. I’m Syed and here’s my blog entry: http://geog030.dutton.psu.edu/2016/02/10/syed-amirul-water-tracking-usage/

I find it interesting that your hometown uses water wells as you said. Although I think it’s pretty common to see houses here with water pumps in each basement, it’s not a familiar system in my home country, especially in high populated area where there’s not much room for pumps to be installed. And kudos on your successful experiment! I agree, water consumption should mainly go to drinking and preparing food. It made me realize how most people waste a lot of water for hygiene purposes when we could make do with little of what we have. Great blog!

2. Hi David, my name is Alex and I’m a student at the Worthington Campus in Scranton. Your water system is a little different that mine. We have pipes that bring water to and from all houses in my town. It’s kind of cool that neighborhoods where you’re from use water tanks. We have a gravity system as well with the pipeline. That’s awesome that you’ve spent time in Haiti! I’ve always wanted to travel. One of my necessities, if i had to live on two gallons was also drinking water. I know some say you can go three days without water but your body will not function as well without it. Good post!
    If you’d like to check out mine, here’s the link: https://wp.me/p3RCAy-bro