Michael Simons-Module 4

1.A)

Lindenhurst (my home town) gets its water supply from the Long Island aquifer. To obtain this information I talked with my family and found information on line for some specifics. This aquifer is a combination of groundwater and a little mix of surface water. There are 3 main aquifers and Lindenhurst gets its water from the Magothy Aquifer. Now from the source it goes through a plant which filters any waste out of the water and then from the distribution pipe to you house. Then the water is used for what ever use the person chooses. After that the water gets drained into a waste water pipe which then leads to another plant which then filters out most of the waste so that the water can be used again. This system helps make it possible to reuse any wasted, non-used water.

1.B) During my day I use water when I…

Shower(5 minutes)= 25 gallons

Brush teeth(twice)= 2 gallons

Drink water= 3 gallons

Flush Toilet= 3 gallons

Wash my face= 1 gallon

1.C)

Personally, I found this experiment very difficult. It was interesting to see how hard it was to live while only using 2 gallons of water. The areas I used water was when I showered, brushed my teeth, drank water, and flushed the toilet. I failed this experiment mainly because it is difficult for me to only shower for one minute. I shower everyday so a possible way I can cut down on my water use is by maybe not showering every single day and maybe every other day. One area where I was easily able to limit my water use was when brushing my teeth. It was easy just to turn off my faucet while brushing my teeth and then only using water to rinse out my mouth. For this experiment I put my main priority in drinking. I feel it is more important to be drinking the water than to be using it to wash yourself. This experience compares to 1.b because it shows just how much water I use on a daily basis. The day I recorded my water usage didn’t even incorporate the day I wash my clothes. Lastly, Geography may affect your usage if where you live has an abundance of fresh water readily available. Also, there are many areas in the world where people mainly value water for drinking and not so much cleaning themselves. This is understandable and I believe if it comes down to the people In the U.S. to cut down drastically on our water consumption, this would be the best way to do so.

2 thoughts on “Michael Simons-Module 4

1. Hi, Michael,

Thorough explanation about the water system in your home area! It’s interesting, and quite eye opening, when we compute how much water we actually consume in a day. It’s staggering, especially with the two gallons of water for a single day experiment as a correlation to what we use on a daily basis. I think sometimes we take our H2O for granted.

– Harrison