Module 4 Samarth Arora

Water Supply in India

1a) India is a developing country and so the water supply and water sanitation isn’t the best there. India lacks the financial resources to obtain the best possible system and sanitation. Water is extracted from the rivers in India but before doing so the area is checked whether it is economically possible to build the irrigation system to collect water. Then after barriers like dams are built to stop the excess flow of water. After this process the water is collected using intake structures such as a siphon, reservoir bottom valve, or outlet sluice, which is attached to the dam, then the water is supplied to pipelines through which they enter houses or areas where the water is required. Water is also collected from small water bodies like ponds using smaller intake structures. However in certain small towns and villages large and small water bodies don’t exist and so a large reservoir is connected underground with power stations generating power and electricity to allow the flow of water from pipelines to the small towns and villages.

1b) I chose a weekday Tuesday as it is one of the days where I use most of the water.

Activity Number of times/ minutes Amount of water
Shower 15 minutes 20 Gallons
Flush/ Hand Wash 5 28 Gallons
Tooth Brush 2 4 Gallons
Drinking 6 1 Gallon
Laundry 1 25 Gallon

Total: 78 Gallons

1c) This was a difficult experiment to conduct as I was trying to limit myself to only two gallons of water the whole day. It was nearly impossible for me to last the day with only two gallons. Brushing my teeth and washing my face used up about quarter of a gallon and another gallon and a half went on drinking. Using the toilet is a necessity and so flushing used up a lot of the water. Flushing itself pushed me over the two-gallon limit and so I was unsuccessful with this experiment. Even without using the flush and taking a shower I feel like I wouldn’t be able to survive on only two gallons. After calculating and realizing that I use an average of 78 gallons a day I knew it would be difficult to survive on two gallons. Therefore, on average I use 39 times more water than the average person in Haiti. Geography plays an important role in terms of water as it discusses the way to transfer the water from places and uses certain resources that are available in only certain areas. The location matters a lot when it comes to water and all these points come under Geography.

2 thoughts on “Module 4 Samarth Arora

1. Hi Samarth my name is Jonah Kim and here is my blog:
    http://geog030.dutton.psu.edu/2016/02/10/module-4-jonah-kim/
    I was drawn to your blog because of your water usage. Not that it is a bad thing but you did use over 30 gallons more water than me. I really like the fact that you compared your water usage to people who struggle with water usage like the people. However, I believe the average Haitian uses 15 liters or a little more than 5 gallons of water a day. I used this source: http://www.data360.org/dsg.aspx?Data_Set_Group_Id=757

2. Hi Samarth! I really enjoyed your part A because it was interesting reading about a different country. It was very detailed and entertaining to read how the water system works. I also agree for your part C that it is very difficult to only live off of two gallons of water, especially when we are so used to using more than that. I also agree in terms of geography, and how it is very important where you are located because water can only reach certain areas.
    -Caitlyn Ramirez
    Here is a link to my blog post: http://geog030.dutton.psu.edu/2016/02/10/water-usage-module-4-caitlyn-ramirez/