Water for Me and My Town

Part 1-a:

In my hometown of Greencastle is supplied by springs and wells. We use 3 wells currently their names are 1, 2, and 4. There was a well 3 but it has been abandoned. Personally I like how we get some of our water from springs. We use Eshelman-Spangler springs as well as a spring called Ebberts Spring. There is also a third spring called Moss Springs but it is at the site of our water treatment plant. If there is any drought or emergency Greencastle does have a reservoir to use. This reservoir also is treated at the water treatment facility in the middle of the whole area. All the water that is used is transported by pipes to the centrally located treatment plant. The reservoir, which is located on a farm, is only transported to the plant when needed, and is not used at all during normal conditions. All in all, I am pretty happy that my town takes water from natural sources and treats it, rather than having to do treatment plans like other major cities.

Part 1-b:

a. Drinking Water: 3 glasses of water x 8 oz. per glass =24 oz.
b. Shower: 2 gallons per minute x 10 mins = 20 gallons
c. Teeth Brushing: 10 oz.
d. Washing Clothes: 28 gallons (newer standard model)
e. Toilet: 5 gallon per flush x 3 flushes = 15 gallons
f. Hands/face washing: 1 gallon
g. Dishwasher: 1 load per day x 15 gallons per load = 15 gallons
Total: approx. 79 gallons 34 oz. per day
http://www.csgnetwork.com/waterusagecalc.html

Part 1-c:

If I lived in an area that has water restriction, I would defiantly try to save as much water as I could when doing daily activities. I would use the two gallons of water I have to cooking food, showering, brushing my teeth, and drinking water. I would use about two cups of water to use for cooking throughout the day. By using two cups I would try to stretch out my food to last for about three days so that I can preserve more water to use for other things. I would then drink about 4-8 ounces of water per day to keep fluids in my system. To brush my teeth I would use about 2 ounces or less of water. Next I would use most of the water I have left to bathe myself with. I would try not to use the rest so that I could keep extra for an unexpected thing that I might need it for. I never really noticed how much water I used before, and if I were to restrict the water that I uses I defiantly would

2 thoughts on “Water for Me and My Town

1. Hello, klt5326 (I can’t see your actual name). My name is Megan and my town also collects its water from wells, but it is supplied by a company that controls the water mains and treatment. If you’d like to know more, here is a link to my blog post: http://geog030.dutton.psu.edu/2016/02/06/water-tracking-of-petersburg-and-usage-by-megan-shrout/

I’m also happy that I live rurally enough that the water isn’t treated so rough as cities need to be. We get our water from a well in our backyard and it is only filtered (not even softened) and I couldn’t imagine it otherwise.

Considering the amount of water it takes to do a load of laundry, another method for cleaning them would certainly have to be looked into, as well as washing dishes. You would have to save two whole weeks worth of water to do just one wash! Your prioritizing of water for means of consumption was critical. Bathing and sanitizing are only social norms. It used to be that bathing was considered disgusting (and that’s why perfume was invented).

2. Hello, my name is Jake Segall. Here is a link to my post!

http://geog030.dutton.psu.edu/2016/02/10/water-tracking-and-usage-jake-segall/

I agree with you, I never noticed how much of an impact in terms of water usage I had until I did this activity. It is eye opening, and really makes you feel for people who live in a situation where two gallons a day is not a choice, but the only option. I like the way that you divided up your water usage. However, I would urge you to really consider how much water each activity truly uses. It is recommended that you drink at least half a gallon of water a day (64 oz a day). That alone is a fourth of your water there and, while living on 4-8 oz a day is possible for some time, it may become necessary to actually increase this amount. Actually trying to do this experiment is somewhat eye-opening.