Water Tracking and Usage

Part 1-a: The water in my hometown or Vienna, Virginia originates from the Potomac River as ground water or storm runoff.   The river water then branches off into smaller streams and is redirected to the James J. Corbalis Jr. treatment plant where it is then filtered basically through screening of large objects including fish and debris. The water settles in big pools in order to separate the water and sediment. Chlorine is added t to disinfect the water. Fluoride is also added to protect the users teeth. The water is then stored and distributed to standpipes and water towers near my town. When ready to be used, it is then gravity fed to the communities throughout my town. The water is then directed underground to my house up to my water tank, the water is then heated or cooled to be used for cooking, cleaning, drinking and whatever household uses for water.  The water when done being used is drained into the sewer and then re-filtered in a sewage plant and eventually put back into the Potomac River.

http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/nvswcd/newsletter/drinkingwater.htm

Part 1-b:

1-15 minute Shower- 75 gallons

2-Teeth Brushings- 2* 3 = 6 gallons

1-Shave- 1 Gallon

2-Toilet Flushes- 2*3 = 6 Gallons

4-Glasses of water- 1/2 Gallon

2-dishwasher loads- 2*10 = 20 gallons

1-Laundry Load-30 gallons

Total gallons- 138.5 Gallons

Part 1-c: If I were given only two gallons or (256oz) of water for a day I would use about 50oz for drinking. I would use about 16oz to shave my face, and another 30 to brush my teeth. I would use 1 gallon to hand wash my clothes. I wouldn’t shower and would use the restroom in the great outdoors. The last 32oz of water would be used for cooking food.   I set my priorities in this experiment based on necessity. I used majority of the water for drinking and cooking, secondly I used a large amount to wash my clothing.   I also resulted in using no water to cleanse myself or flush which saved around 80 gallons of water, essentially half of the water used on any normal day. To be honest I don’t think I could live on two gallons of water, although I had described so above, I did not include showering which is a crucial part of my daily routine. Considering that my geographical location is close to the Potomac River, I would have the option to bathe in the river, which would be a huge asset.

2 thoughts on “Water Tracking and Usage

1. Hey Gavin! All of your information was really interesting but I was especially interested in your part C. I liked how you turned the two gallons into ounces and figured out how much you would use from there. I didn’t even think about using the restroom in the “great outdoors”, but it is a really good idea. However, I think I may get a little tired of being kind of gross all the time, especially with not showering; so I completely agree that living on two gallons of water would be difficult.
    Here is a link to my blog post if you’d like to check it out: http://geog030.dutton.psu.edu/2016/02/10/water-usage-module-4-caitlyn-ramirez/

2. Hi Gavin, I’m Chloe! I thought your post was really interesting because you had some really good ideas about how you would use your 2 gallons of water per day. Great idea to hand was your clothes and go to the bathroom outside. Although, it is a lot easier for guys to do that. I agree that it would be extremely difficult to live on two gallons of water per day. In addition, you do seem to have an advantage when it comes to showering, considering that you live close to a river.
    Here is a link to my post: http://sites.psu.edu/geog30/2016/02/10/water-usage-4/