water tracking & usage

1a. My lake house in located in Uniondale, PA. There all the houses operate on their own well water system. The way a well water system works is the well is located 60 feet under the ground outside of our house. The water is pumped out of the ground automatically using a jet pump that sits on top of the ground and draws water out of the ground to create water pressure for the hose. The well at my house has a storage tank that stores the water before is it pumped again into the house, but not all wells have a storage tank. When the water goes through the drains and is disposed, it goes into a sewage tank that in located in my back yard underground. It then leaves the sewage tank and goes to a sewage treatment plant where the water is purified and filtered. After being filtered, it is then released into the Lackawanna River which eventually leads into the Susquehanna River.

1b.

Activities Amount of water used
10 minutes shower (once) 50 gallons
Toilet flushes (six times) 6 gallons
Water I drank (64 oz) ½ gallon
Teeth brushing (two times) 2 gallons
Face washing/hand washing (two times) 2 gallon
Washing dished by hand (once) 13 gallons

Total= 73.5 gallons of water on February 5, 2016

1c. I attempted to live on two gallons of water on February 7. I decided my two priories for the water usage would be for hygiene and drinking. On that day, I skipped my shower and decided to wear a hat all day. I did wash my face and brush my teeth, both which I did quickly. I had two glasses of water throughout the day, and by the end of the day I had a horrible head ache from not drink enough water. Also to cut back on water I make sure all the cooking I did did not require water. I had cereal for breakfast, a sandwich for lunch, and eggs for dinner. At the end of the day I did not wash the dishes to try and save water. When I would use the bathroom I did not flush until the end of the day. At the end of the day I realized that I had failed at this experiment. As you can see in my 1b graph, I use a lot of water throughout the day, and although I tried everything I could to cut back on my water usage I was unable to only use two gallons of water. I realized that after this experiment I take the water I use for granted. Some people around the world can only use water for survival (food and water). They do not have the resources to use clean water. Geography is a key concept for where our water comes from and how we use it on a day to day basis everyday and from realizing that I hope to be more aware of the water I am wasting in the future.