Development Case Studies- Rachael Donnelly

1. For my case I chose to an article from the “AllAfrica-Sustainability- Kenya: Experts Gather in Nairobi to Fight Water Crisis” webpage (http://allafrica.com/stories/201602230603.html) This case deals with water experts from various countries in Africa are in Nairobi discussing ways of ensuring sustainable access to the commodity and sanitation on the continent. Of the 1.8 billion people worldwide who do not have easy access to water, two thirds live in Africa. The issues that is being discussed includes management of sewage, public-private partnerships for financing water and sanitation organization, and help for the poor. The provision of clean drinking water in the country and in Africa remains a great challenge that governments must strive to tackle. Five percent of Africa’s gross domestic product is lost every year due to water quality-related issues that impact health and productivity, pushing the poor further into poverty. Only fifty-six percent of Kenyans have reliable access to clean water and seventy percent have access to sanitation. The livelihoods and the security of African countries are threatened by the shortage of water. These water experts must move fast and effectively in order to make advances in the water shortage of Africa.

1. For my second case study I have chosen to talk about global food loss and waste around the world on the “World Resources Institute” website. (http://www.wri.org/blog/2016/01/champions-call-reduce-global-food-loss-and-waste) Currently, thirty leaders have launched an effort to reduce food loss and waste around the world. The focus is to ensure sustainable consumption and production patterns, reduce food loss and waste in order to increase food security, and reduce greenhouse gas emissions and help lessen poverty. This level of wastefulness has huge economic, social, and environmental impacts. Food loss and waste causes $940 billion in economic losses annually. It worsens food insecurity and malnutrition. Food that is ultimately lost or wasted consumes about a quarter of all water used by agriculture. It is responsible for an estimated eight percent of global greenhouse gas emissions. Efforts of reducing food loss and waste, can save money for farmers, companies, and households. Wasting less food leads to feeding more people and lessens pressure on climate, water, and land resources.

1. I am from Northern Pennsylvania in a small town called Athens, Pennsylvania. I live in a rural area where we rely on various resources in order to survive. Although the issues stated above in the two case studies, water or food shortage is not a common problem in the area I live, it is still very possible that due to the lack of other resources, my life and the others around me could easily be affected without the necessary resources that are provided. In Africa and other countries we see how families are struggling to survive due to the lack of water and sanitation in their country. In countries around the world we see how malnutrition is becoming a problem due to food loss and waste. These resources are the key to survival and without the farm’s productions, clean water, and functioning electricity around my area I could easily be having a hard time surviving myself. With the advancements and development in the U.S I have been fortunate enough to have had a healthy life so far.

2 thoughts on “Development Case Studies- Rachael Donnelly

1. Hi Rachel, My name is J.R. Here’s the link to my blog where I talked about bike use in Japan and France trying to cut down on smoking.
    http://geog030.dutton.psu.edu/2016/02/24/module-5-development-case-studies-2/

I liked the articles that you chose for your blog. The statistics that you showed are amazing and really show me the whole story about the struggles that they are having with water. The issue will be an interesting one to solve because there seems to be many problems all crammed together. Also, the second case study that you used caught my attention just because of the facts. I would have never thought that the economy was hurt that much from food consumption. It would be amazing if we could find a way to more efficiently recycle food waste and help those in need while also fixing our economy.

2. Hi Rachel, my name is Katie and here is the link to my blog: http://geog030.dutton.psu.edu/2016/02/24/negative-impacts-on-human-health-in-poor-regions-due-to-development/

Your blog post caught my attention because I also discusses poverty and the effects development has on people of low socioeconomic status. I enjoyed how you included in your first paragraph about the lack of water in poor countries in Africa. This is definitely a developmental issue that needs to be fixed in order for the poverty in those countries to live and thrive. I like how you conducted how where you live, you don’t experience lack of food or small supply of water.