Waste Management

In my one case study I learned of how Ireland is addressing its growing problem of waste management, particularly reducing its absurd usage of plastic bags by placing a 15 cent levy on each bag is hopes of reducing their use.  This levy was brought about because Irish officials recognized both its environmental effects as well as economic.  Their waste management problem was driving away tourism and affecting Ireland’s overall “green image”.  I think you can take away a lot from this study as Ireland is a developed country but it faces problems to continue developing such as more efficient waste management as well as educating its citizens about the affects of their waste consumption on their very own economy and well being.  Also as their population continues to grow they will have to continue to develop strategies to handle the increasing population of both citizens and tourist.http://personal.colby.edu/personal/t/thtieten/litter.htm

My second case study talks about how a Lebanon city renewed an are that was once a trash mountain and turned it into a beautiful park.  The recycled as much materials as they could, while also using old rubble dumped at the site to build up a sea wall and reclaim beach front property. Waste that couldn’t be removed was covered in a safe and modern landfill site that will be able to be used by the public in a few years after its materials have decomposed. This project has created a park that residents can use to improve both physical and emotional well being and quality of life in general. The Seawolves created from this project will open up development revenue, as well as more room for residents in this high value real estate.http://phys.org/news/2014-12-lebanon-garden-blooms-trash-mountain.html

Currently in my town of Grove City there has been a debate/ legal battle for the development of a trash mountain in our town. Currently we have a landfill that has been full for a number of years so tri-county industries uses it as sorting station as garbage from Ohio, New York, and Pennsylvania are trucked in then sent to their other landfills.  They propose a huge mountain of trash that would apparently bring in huge sums of tax revenue as well as jobs which is important to our area if we want to continue to develop.  Our town folks though like our small quiet town and don’t want all the increased track traffic on our small roads as well as we are concerned about the small from the trash mountain as well as other potential environmental effects such as damages to fresh water supplies and toxic was should the protective lining of the dump become ruptured. So though my town recognizes the need to address our waste problem like the previous two articles. We our less concerned with the development of our area to sacrifice some of the current attributes that our town gives us because of being a little under developed, such as tons of space and some peace and quiet.

2 thoughts on “Waste Management

1. Hi my name is John and my blog link is http://geog030.dutton.psu.edu/2016/02/25/module-5-development-case-studies-4/.
    I liked how your blog took a more “green” approach to this concept. In my blog I talked more about the extraction and production of energy as apposed to ways of being eco-efficient. I discussed how the implementation of new energy producing tactics can sometimes be less beneficial for an area. This is why I believe we should look at development at a more local level than just by country. It can sometimes lead to misleading results and non-developed countries could be more efficient than powerhouse countries.

2. Hi my name is Aaliyah here is the link to my blog https://wp.me/p3RCAy-bxW. For my blog I wrote about the implementation of wind power and its benefits.When I read your post I thought of the grocery store ALDI. ALDI chages customers a 10 cent fee for bags. As a result many customers bring their own bags or use empty boxes they find around the store. I believe this approach could really improve the amount of waste being produced.