Water Supply

1. The case study I chose to describe is ‘India’s greatest planned environmental disaster: The Narmada valley dam projects’ the link to this case study is: http://www.umich.edu/~snre492/Jones/narmada.html

This case study discuses the build up of many large and small dams throughout the Narmada River in India. The Indian government was unable to plan this project properly and this caused them a lot of money, time, and disasters. The dam runs across three states and the purpose was to provide sufficient and clean water to the people and better improve the water system/ supple. Unfortunately in trying to do so and without properly evaluating the project there were problems faced. The large dams causes natural disasters such as floods and also many people ended up getting sick, diseases were spread and so this project was clear unsuccessful.

2. For my second case study I looked at ‘Provision of Sustainable Water Supply System in Nigeria: A Case Study of Wannune-Benue State’ the link to this case study is: http://pubs.sciepub.com/wjee/2/1/1/

This case study discusses the water supply in Nigeria. A large water treatment plant was created in order to provide safe and better water supply to the people. About 53% of people in the rural areas have no access to safe and clean water, which again was a cause of several diseases spreading throughout the country. The water treatment plant contains several units to help purify all the water in order to obtain the WHO guidelines in Nigeria. Similar to the case study above lack of concern and poor maintenance led to a failure in the systems as they were not developed properly. However, the calculations and results say if the plant is to be successful it will solve majority of the water problems for both rural and urban areas in Nigeria.

3. Coming from New Delhi, India both the case studies above have similar outcomes as to what its like in New Delhi. Delhi is the capital of India and so there are obviously a lot more improvements and lesser problems compared to the two case studies above. Most of the urban areas in Delhi have access to good and clean water supply; however, the rural areas and villages still do suffer. They have access to groundwater and wells etc. The first case study is similar to what happens in Delhi, as there are many water plants and different supplies that provide water to its citizens. The water system in Delhi is a lot better compared to Narmada Valley and Nigeria. The water supply in Delhi runs all over the state. However, the water supply in Delhi does get damages from time to time due to the excess pollution and dirt in the state, which causes diseases.

2 thoughts on “Water Supply

1. Hello! My name is Katherine and I am a junior at Penn State. I focused mainly on case studies that involved initiatives aimed at improving the crisis of hunger in many countries around the world. I focused on case studies that worked with companies in Ethiopia as well as Southern Asia. Your blog post stood out to me because water supply and food availability often occur together and for some of the same reasons; such as geography, access and availability. I focused on Ethiopia, which is why the water supply in Nigeria caught my eye, as they are both African countries. With the large amount of people going without food and water each day, a water treatment plan is without a doubt necessary to improve living conditions in hopes of one day ending this crisis. It is saddening to imagine that more than half, 53%, of all people in Nigeria do not have access to a clean water source.

2. Hello Samarth my name is Lucas Skiba I’m from Boalsburg,PA. Your case studies post caught my eye because my post also talked about water quality as well. In my case studies they talked about gold mines, coal mines, and hydraulic fracking causing water contamination. This is a little different because your post seemed like the developments you were talking about were trying to be solutions for natural water. But in the long run it was these man made developments that have contaminated the water supply in several countries. So it is an important question to ask, are developments in our countries actually good for us or do they just destroy the environment? Thanks Samarth. http://sites.psu.edu/geog30/2016/02/24/development-case-studies-module-5-ljs5300/?preview_id=44391&preview_nonce=719dc9b894&post_format=standard&preview=true