Russo Development Case Studies – Module 5

Case 1:

A recent initiative combats waste management in Germany, a highly developed commercial country. Due to an increase in the concern of unsustainable development, Germany created an ordinance on packaging in 1991 called the Green Dot System. This ordinance put the responsibility of minimizing waste on the manufacturers by requiring them to recycle or reuse their consumed packaging. The original goals were to recycle 72 percent of glass, tinplate and aluminum packaging waste and 64 percent of paper, plastic and composite packaging. Because companies were initially struggling with this initiative, a non-profit organization called the “Dual System” was created. This organization called for companies to pay for a membership as well as fees per packaging volume. In return, the Dual System would put green dot trademarks on the members’ packaging materials. This way, consumers are reassured the packaging will be recycled. As a result of these efforts, consumption of packaging waste has decreased and the reusing of packaging has gone up. For the green dot system to be successful, every piece of packaging needs to be reused or recycled.

(1) Rousso, A. S. And S. P. Shah, “Packaging Taxes And Recycling Incentives: The German Green Dot Program” National Tax Journal Vol. 47, No. 3 (1994): 689-701.
(2) Chilton, Kenneth, “Making Manufacturers Responsible for Recycling: Passing the Garbage Buck” Solid Waste Association of North America 1995 US/Canadian Fed Solid Waste Management Conference (1995): 17-32.
(3) “Duales System on Firmer Ground in Germany” BioCycle Vol. 35, No. 6 (1994): 61-64.

Link: http://personal.colby.edu/personal/t/thtieten/swm-germ.html

Case 2:

Landfill Gas from South Korea can be turned into a renewable energy source. The waste sector in South Korea produced 37.6% of the country’s total methane emissions in 2001. Methane also plays a powerful role in climate change because it accounts for 16% of global emissions from humans. While this may seem like a detrimental example of human impact on the environment, it is actually a great opportunity for South Korea to produce a renewable energy source. Landfill gas can be utilized by different measures. The energy can be generated into electricity for the power grid through turbines. It can also be directly applied to offset unsustainable development through on-scene boilers and greenhouses. This would cause reduction in usage of fossil fuels such as natural gas, coal, and oil. South Korea is a rapidly developing country that relies on outside sources for 98% of its energy. The goal of implementing landfill gas projects is to make South Korea less dependent on imported energy sources by utilizing landfill methane as a domestic energy source.

Sources: National Renewable Energy Laboratory of the US Department of Energy  Office of Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy

Link: http://www.nrel.gov/docs/fy07osti/40428.pdf

Case 3:

I chose these case studies because I feel I live in a very relatable environment. I am from Douglassville, PA just outside of Reading. I live 15 minutes from the Western Berks Landfill in a developed area just like Germany and South Korea. I always think about how the landfill affects the local biodiversity and environment. The biodiversity of the three geographic environments are pretty similar. The difference is that my area is more rural compared to the regions discussed in both case studies, so their environment is more polluted. I chose to discuss the green dot system in Germany because a large portion of the materials accepted at my local landfill is municipal solid waste. If we implemented a similar policy, the landfill would take longer to develop and my area would be more recycle-friendly. I chose to discuss the initiative of capturing methane gas for energy in South Korea because it demonstrates that humans can have a positive impact on the environment. There is a chance that one day my local landfill can utilize landfill gas projects to produce energy for the area.

One thought on “Russo Development Case Studies – Module 5

1. Hi Anthony my name is Ryan and this the link to my blog entry is here: http://geog030.dutton.psu.edu/2016/02/25/case-study-module-5/ I viewed cases about a pipeline being built in Africa and the health of the poor in Mexico and how it effects them. I replied to your blog because I never heard of the Green Dot System and it intrigued me.This system seems like it would work and maybe implement it in the United States. I also liked the case study on landfills. It would be a good energy source if we used the waste in the landfills the way South Korea is.