Module 5: Droughts Around the World

1. The first case study is from the IRIN News from the UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs. This study is about a drought in Somalia and the effects it has on food, money, and migration of people. The drought is forcing livestock to move outward to find food and water to live but there are too many animals eating off of the land. This is resulting in less food for the animals and when they die there is less livestock for people to eat in return. Livestock is one of the few goods in Somalia that is sold for shillings and not dollars. The value of the shilling has decreased in terms of the US dollar so livestock is being sold for way less than it should be resulting in little profit for selling their livestock. Due to food shortages people are being forced to move into towns to try and find food there. This development relates to the idea of environmental possibilism because the environment is affecting the way these people live and the people are changing the environment (exhausting the land) due to these changes.  http://www.irinnews.org/node/255998
  2. The second case study I looked at is from the news source Reuters and it is about El Nino creating a drought in the Asian Pacific. It is destroying crops as well as killing their livestock which is very similar to what is going on in my first case study. A concept throughout this study that relates to class is that even though this is in a poor part of the world, humanitarian agencies are stepping in the aid the people. For example, UNICEF is working to help child affected by this especially with their nutrition, health, water, and sanitation. Since there are less crops for people to harvest and eat, another effect of the drought is that less children are going to school because they aren’t being properly fed and able to go to school. Children are greatly impacted by this drought because they are severely malnourished and need immediate attention. http://www.reuters.com/article/us-asiapac-elnino-drought-idUSKCN0V41KE
  3. I am from Bucks County, PA which is located in southeastern PA near Philadelphia. The two case studies both deal with a drought somewhere in the world. My hometown and county are currently not in a drought and it doesn’t seem likely that they will be in the near future. I live across the street from a farm that is always thriving and it has never had an issue about having enough crops to harvest and sell. They also have some farm animals but not located to where I can see them and as far as I know they aren’t dying due to lack of food or water. My area is very different compared to Somalia and the Asian Pacific not only because we aren’t in a drought now but also because my town doesn’t rely on selling livestock for a living. However, if something like this were to happen in my hometown I think that it is important to get humanitarian agencies involved in order to resolve the problem as quickly and efficiently as possible.

2 thoughts on “Module 5: Droughts Around the World

1. Hello, Molly! My name is Tawnya and I really enjoyed reading about the case studies you’ve chosen. It’s sad to hear that Somalia is at such a disadvantage when comparing shillings to U.S dollars. I also had no idea the drought was so bad in Somalia and the Asian Pacific. I understand that it takes a lot of time, money and energy to raise cattle and it is somber Somalia is not receiving the amount of money they should be for all their efforts. It is also unfortunate to learn about the negative chain of events occurring from the lack of water. I lived in Havertown, Pa for a little over a year and did one of my case studies on the Industrialization causing health issues in Chester, Pa. I realize that is very close to you so if you are interested, check out my blog post: http://geog030.dutton.psu.edu/2016/02/23/development-downsides-to-industrial-facilities/
    Thank you!
    Sincerely,
    Tawnya

2. Hello Molly!

Your post caught my eye simply because I thought the cases sounded interesting. If you’re interested in reading mine, feel free: https://wp.me/p3RCAy-bBm

First of all allow me to say that these are very good examples of chain reactions! Unfortunately, chain reactions can get severe such as this when one’s livelihood (and health in the case of the second case) is dependent upon a single thing – beit a crop, livestock, what have you. I thought it very interesting how the first case also affects the market internationally due to the different currencies. We should consider ourselves lucky to not live in such drought-prone areas (I am from Berks County, PA myself) and that we are not dependent on such means of money-making. Your post got me thinking though – humanitarian aid can help in the ways of drought and malnourishment (thank goodness), but what in the way of animal disease? – Perhaps their economies will turn to less turmulous means of income- it would be for the best in my opinion – easier said than done though.