David Youn Post 5

http://personal.colby.edu/personal/t/thtieten/Biopower.htm

This case study takes place in Kettle Falls, Washington in which they wanted to implement new system of producing energy. The purpose was to remove the classic energy supply by burning fossil fuels with biopower plant. This is special case a biopower plant was to benefit the Kettle Falls Wood-Fired camp because of the abundant bio-supply available to them as their location was in the woods. Furthermore, disposal for unwanted wood waste was to burn them. They took this idea and invested $85.9 million which turned out to be a great investment because of the amount of support they got from the community. Sustainable energy is of great importance in today’s society. In the United States, we have depleted most of the fossil fuels that are available for us to use. It is important for our future and future generation to have a reliable source of energy.

http://www.biomasscenter.org/resource-library/case-studies/housing/dartmouth-college’s-sachem-village

This cas study takes place in West Lebanon, New Hampshire or better known as a small village near Darthmouth College. McNamara learned that this little village outside of Dartmouth College was full of renewable resources. Both the middle school and high school in that area were using woodchip-fired heating system. However, the chip system was less cost efficient in comparison with pellet system. He fine tuned the system in which 95% was from the pellet and 5% from the propane burner whenever its needed. This would only take place if the weather gets too cold. The amazing thing of this system is that it had has no visible air emission. Furthermore, this system allowed to burn other biomaterials. As mentioned above, as McNamara realized that fossil fuel was a limited source he searched for a different solution for energy sources. He invested in a sustainable energy system for his house.

In both cases, people in those area realized that they were not using readily available energy sources. They took advantage of this and built a cost efficient alternative to the fossil fuel energy system. Neither of these cases are developing in my hometown of Cherry Hill, New Jersey. This is because the city does not readily have as much wood for the entire city to sustain on in comparison with both of the above cities. I don’t believe that my hometown has even considered starting a sustainable energy system. Cherry Hill completely relies on a fossil fuel energy system. Our town can learn from these cases that investing in a sustainable energy system is very good in the long term because we will eventually run out of fossil fuels to energize our daily needs.

One thought on “David Youn Post 5

1. Hi I’m Jake Hughes! I also chose a case study from the Colby College. I like how you implemented the fossil fuels through a case study. That was one of the depleting resource examples from the module! I talked a little bit about the Gray Wolf population in the Northern Rockies. I also talked about the freshwater supply in New Zealand. Both wolves and New Zealand really interest me! Good job on the post.