learning activity 5 – Jiye Choi

I chose the development study case about Indonesia from Colby : http://personal.colby.edu/personal/t/thtieten/ag-ind.html

Indonesia which is located Southeast Asia had agricultural policy since 1967. Indonesia wanted to cultivate significant amount of rice. To develop the agriculture, government supported farmers by providing fertilizer, pesticides and water that need to growing rice. Government even moved people to city so that more land can be used as a rice paddy. However, because of government’s economic support, farmers started to overused fertilizer, pesticides and water and it results environmental problems. There were pesticide resistant pests and eliminated natural predators that help control pests. Indonesia actually failed to balance economic development and environmental development which led to unsustainable outcome. The government only focused on economic aspect. In recent years, Indonesia realized the importance of sustainable development, they are trying to fulfill sustainable agricultural development.

According to the Human Development Index (HDI) 2011, Rwanda had been selected as one of low HDI countries. Those low HDI countries like Nepal, Haiti, or Congo, have been suffering from inequality and low wages that make almost impossible to make living. Despite of the fact that they are in serious situation, Rwanda has been making progress for the nation. There are lots of constructions going on and development sector runs pretty busy to improve the nation. Therefore, demanding of real estates has been going up. In addition, there are the matters of importing the construction materials to the country. It is pretty complex situation that one side wants to develop in the sense of constructing buildings; however, the other side speaks out that governments in the East African bloc should provide incentives for manufacturers in order to produce finishing materials like flooring or ceilings.  The thing that the country is eager to grow and have better situation allows people to keep moving forward.

http://www.cnbcafrica.com/news/east-africa/2016/02/09/growing-rwanda-construction-sector/

I live in state college right now, but my home country is South Korea. These two case studies have some similarity and difference at the same time. South Korea also eat rice as a staple as Indonesia, as a Indonesia our government also control the agricultural industry but not like Indonesia. We don’t provide pesticides or land to farmer and suggest sustainable development. Rice paddy is reducing in Korea these days. It is because of development of building and construction. As I stated in second paragraph, Rwanda also developing the construction but the difference between two countries is Rwanda is a developing country so they are starting to construct new buildings and they have more available space than South Korea. Because of concentration on city, people trying to construct building in limited space resulting land scraper. I learned that development is not always good thing. Because I’m from small town I always wanted to live in big city with various facilities, but there are benefits from rural area. The most important thing is balance between development, sustainability and environment.

3 thoughts on “learning activity 5 – Jiye Choi

1. Hi Jiye, my name is Matt. I really liked the focus of your post about developing countries. I too including Indonesia in my article but for a different reason that still connects to your topic. Your entry talked about how they are developing my post is talking about how pollution is a side effect of it. I thought your article was a nice take on how we as people are learning as we grow.
    https://sites.psu.edu/geog30/wp-admin/post.php?post=44690&action=edit

2. Hey Jiye,

I wrote about the overproduction of crops in France and how the environmental problem of this issue came to be solved through the use of incentives, a policy which could be used in other parts of my blog. I was pretty interested when I read about the issue in Indonesia, that sounds very similar to the issue France had after World War 2. I think that if Indonesia also provided a way to incentivize rice farmers to use eco-friendly procedures, then they would put themselves on the path to sustainable development. I find your second paragraph interesting because I know developing countries are what make up a large portion of the world today and it will be very interesting to see how some of these places fail or succeed in the global market.

Fellow Classmate,
    Ryan Gebhardt.
    Here’s a link to my blog if you would like to read it!
    http://geog030.dutton.psu.edu/2016/02/26/the-power-of-incentives-from-france-to-north-carolina/

3. Hi Jiye
    My name is Joe, I am a World Campus student here is a link to my blog post https://wp.me/p3RCAy-bCv

I found your second case study interesting especially the part regarding the thought of providing incentives for manufacturing floor coverings. I am sure the factory is emitting hi levels of pollution into the air, but some people still want to review this behavior.