Solar Power is now more Accessible than Ever

A photovoltaic-powered pumping system is a fancy term for a solar energy-powered water pump.  According to Colby College, this device was studied in seven rural areas located far away from established electricity grids in Wyoming.  The subject locations required a lot of water to sustain their livestock, and the pumps were tested for efficiency and cost-effectiveness as an alternative energy source.  The users had some issues with their systems as the result of environmental factors such as high velocity winds, pump clogs, and freezing temperatures.  However, at each instance of a system problem, it was an easy fix.  All of the subjects reported being satisfied with the system overall.  Both the system owners and the local electric utility saved a lot of money, and the sites significantly reduced their demand for nonrenewable energy.  The goal of the development is to use solar energy as a cost-effective alternative energy source for pumping water in rural areas.  This relates to the module because it aims to create environmental justice for those who live in rural areas.  http://personal.colby.edu/personal/t/thtieten/sol-wy.html

The nonprofit organization called Aurore has received the Ashden Award, an international recognition for championing sustainable energy.  Aurore successfully supplied affordable electrical services to over 20,000 families in India by 2004 through photovoltaic water pumps, solar home systems, and solar lanterns.  Partnering with the Indian government, Aurore funded the bulk of startup and maintenance costs.  With the new home systems in place, users only pay 1,000 Rupees ($22 U.S.) as an initial charge, and then a monthly rental fee of 100 Rupees ($2 U.S.).  With 80% of Indians living on less than $2 U.S. a day, and 44% of Indians lacking grid electricity, the new pumps and solar energy have made huge impacts.  Many of the development goals are being reached with the new pumps, allowing those with low income and low access to electricity grids to live and work much more productively.  I feel this case ties in to environmental justice as well.  In parts of the world that need a boost to kickstart development, organizations like Aurore are helping to bridge the gap.  https://www.ashden.org/files/Aurore%20summary.pdf

I am from a rural suburb called Sugarloaf, PA.  Energy is provided to us in several different ways.  In recent years, I have actually noticed a significant increase in solar panels in my area.  I know of four separate households who have, or are in the process of implementing large-scale solar panels, in a small community.  These case studies were very insightful to me, because I always pictured solar energy as being much too expensive to be cost-effective, and I did not understand the full spectrum of uses solar energy can provide.  I have learned that the electricity to pump water can be easily powered through alternative sources.  In my hometown, there are parts that are definitely far from an electric grid, and so using solar power would likely benefit them in the long run.  In the case in India, it just goes to show that solar power is sustainable financially for even those in poverty if the community takes collective action.  As far as development goes in my community, I think our geography plays a huge role.  I live in a valley, but the surrounding mountains can be good locations for windmills.  In utilizing solar energy, I believe there needs to be more information put out to the community to get rid of the stigma that it is not sustainable.  There are many new neighborhoods being built around me, and I think those are key locations to hone in on.  With new homes, it is easier to start out with solar pumps and other systems, rather than having to replace older systems down the road.  All in all, I think my community has the ability to come together.

2 thoughts on “Solar Power is now more Accessible than Ever

1. Hi, Hannah I’m Kevin!
    I also talked about the uses of solar power in my blog as well. I think it is really interesting how we can take the energy from the sun and use it for our everyday electricity needs. I thought it was specifically interesting how they used it in your study to provide electricity and water systems for farms. In my study they used it to heat water for a variety of buildings in Austin. Check it out if you’d like to! http://geog030.dutton.psu.edu/2016/02/26/module-5-kevin-hosterman/

2. Hi my name is Lisa! In my entry, I talked about building dams in Ethiopia. In one of my articles it talked about how they used a lottery system based off the American one to raise money to build the dam. In return, people won useful items like refrigerators, TV’s, laptops, etc. I thought it was super interesting and I would love for you to check it out! Here’s a link to my entry: http://geog030.dutton.psu.edu/2016/02/26/american-cultures-affecting-foreign-means-for-raising-money/
    I loved reading your entries! I think it is so interesting that a majority of families only have to pay less than $2 a day for electric. That is so cheap and this is definitely effecting the environment in a positive way. I also loved that you connected it with your town. I have been seeing a lot more solar panels as well in my area. Overall, I think that you did a great job on your entry and I really enjoyed reading it!