Shaud Unit 6

1.

One time my food choice was influenced by a societal norm was in the weekly lunches I would have with my firm partners during my summer internship. I was involved in a very heavy workout routine over the summer and was hungry pretty much all the time. This would lead me to desire to order very large and filling meals to fuel myself.

The societal norm is that it is impolite to order more expensive food/more food in general than those that are buying for you and those around you in general. Therefore I was worried about people looking down on me for ordering very expensive (larger) meals than usual or ordering an extra side dish. This affected how I ordered due to societal norms, and can be applied to those who would feel inclined to order differently than their preference in any number of ways.

2. This norm connects to the societal issue of nutrition and waste. While I was experiencing the opposite problem, I feel there are many times people are looked down upon for ordering an overly healthy even though that is what they want. These people do not have to be co-workers but basically any friend or on a date. We all judge others and people definitely can feel pressure if they are ordering a small salad when everyone else orders full meals. Although I was not worried about people judging me for being obese because I was legitimately using the food as muscle fuel, I could very much understand how someone in my position would be inclined to not order as much as they wanted or not order an overly healthy option for fear of those around them judging. This not only connections to nutrition as someone may be pressured to order a less nutritious meal, it also connects to the issue of waste. Many times people will order something they don’t want in these social situations and end up not saving most of their meal. Throwing out good food because you don’t want it and were pressured to order it is clearly wasteful. Overall, the societal issues of nutrition and waste are affected by the choices we make when pressured by societal norms in situations of ordering in a social setting. The societal norm should be to order whatever you want (within certain reason of course) because no one but yourself is capable of making the best decision. Even if you order unhealthy food that is your decision and something that up to you to correct, not social shaming.

3. Diagram is below

Shaud_Unit6Diagram_jzs5636

One thought on “Shaud Unit 6

1. Hi James,

My name is Tanya. You can view my blog here: http://geog030.dutton.psu.edu/2016/02/29/social-normsocietal-issue/

I find your story interesting. I never really thought about the amount of food you order as a social norm, but it really is. I’ve been in that position before, and really considered what everyone else was ordering when I placed my order. Sometimes I would even offer to pay for a friends meal, or even purchase an appetizer and split it with them. I wonder if the social norm was changed to the employer buying the lunches if people would order more. Well, at least we can dream!