Food Choice & Social Norms

Growing up I have always been extremely open to trying new foods.  At I young age people would always comment on how peculiar my taste in food was, as I was enjoying lemon salads, brussel sprouts and fish at a very young age.  However, at school I would dramatically change my eating habits because I was in a lunch room surrounded by my peers who were all still in the phase of wanting chicken fingers and french fries for every meal.  I spent most of middle school eating hot lunch or fries and a chicken patty a lot of the times with a side of corn which I now know to receive the largest subsidy at about 4 billion dollars.  This social norm became apparent to me through the socialization that occurred while sharing meals with them.  Feeling out of place when I did not eat the same foods as them made me change my eating habits at school.

Looking back at the situation I was in during middle school I realize how dangerous that outlook on my eating could have been on my life if it stuck through high school.  If I continued to eat the typical burger and fries hot meal lunch every day my body would have definitely started taking a toll.  The sad part is, this happens to a lot of teenagers, and obesity becomes an issue, especially in public schools.  Not only could obesity become an issue but a lack of eating, also known as anorexia, as a result of the lack of healthy options could also become an issue.  It is widely known that the food options in public schools are not usually the healthiest, and it can become detrimental to the health of teenagers in the United States.  First of all, the food offered in public schools is not healthy to begin with, but of the food offered the healthiest option should be the social norm of what students are eating.  According to the module a basic nutritional need is to eat animal based food less frequently than plant based foods, and in a school cafeteria that is not an option.food_diagram_skh5224

2 thoughts on “Food Choice & Social Norms

1. Hey Sabrina,

Your story about growing up with a diverse pallet, but wanting to fit in instead of eating the “gross” lunch meals, literally sounds just like me. I think it’s interesting how peer pressure can have such an influence on poor health choices, leading to obesity at a young age. These health risks are very concerning, but so are the ones we don’t see right away. I wrote about some of the hidden consequences of promoting the beef industry, and I think it ties together with your topic well!

Hannah
    http://geog030.dutton.psu.edu/2016/03/02/whats-the-beef-with-beef/

2. Hi Sabrina! I definitely agree that the trend to consume tons of burgers and fries and foods similar to these would lead to obesity. My post related to nutrition and how, although people’s bodies require different amounts of nutrients to be healthy, it is still important to obtain these nutrients for a healthy lifestyle. I think that it’s awesome that your younger self was very open minded about trying other foods and, furthermore, actually enjoying a large variety of foods. I think that more people should be as open minded so that they can expand the variety of foods they eat.

If you have the chance, check out my post: http://geog030.dutton.psu.edu/2016/03/02/from-the-farm-to-the-market/