Food Choice & Social Norms

1. This learning activity is very interesting because I can think of several situations that I personally have experience with food choices. I think that the most important one that I experienced and still do would be being a college student with little time. Ever since I have started college I feel that I do not make good food choices. I think that because I do not live at home I no longer have homemade meals as much or even healthy meals. Juggling time with work, classes, homework, cleaning, hanging with friends and family and along with anything else it makes it much harder. I think that it is easier for me to get fast food, food at the cafe at my college, or anything that is fast. The only times I usually have homemade meals is when I go home to visit my parents other than that I don’t have the chance to make my own food. I think that nowadays it is much more complicated for college students to have homemade meals especially if you live in a dorm. I hope that I can come up with a better way to be able to eat healthier.

2. The societal issue would connect to my food choice in the paragraph above would be making unhealthy decisions and wasting food. Relying on fast food is not good because it leads to health problems and consuming more food which is considered wasting food. The reason why America has so many people who are obese is that everyone prefers something fast and easy or we just don’t have enough time to make our own food. Now the social norm would be making better food decisions so one can eat healthier which relates to not wasting as much food. The reason is the healthier that one eats the less food that will be consumed because healthier food fills someone up more. Overall, it is best to manage time to be able to manage the amount of food one consumes and so that one can have time to prepare their own homemade meals.

FoodChoiceSocialNorms

2 thoughts on “Food Choice & Social Norms

1. I completely agree with you when it comes to college students wasting food. I think it would be a very strong statement to say that some of the most food waste comes from a college dining hall. It is so easy for students to pile food high on their plates in a dining hall but they never seem to finish the food on their plate. Last year, living in a dorm and eating every one of my meals in a dining hall I can say that I, too have been a victim of having my eyes bigger than my stomach. This post was a bit eye opening for me as I have not thought about how much food goes to waste on a college campus.