Social norms food choice

1. A few years ago my family took a two week trip to Italy. Most of the restaurants we visited offered various pasta options. The employees and people of the towns all recommended various pasta dishes which influenced my decision to choose pasta dishes. It seemed that everyone I met loved to talk about the various pastas available.All the pasta dishes I tried were delicious. As an american, I am used to incorporating pastas into my  diet a few times a week. However, I am also used to incorporation a variety of other foods into my diet as well. Pasta is considered a staple in Italian culture. Because of the social norm of eating pasta regularly , I felt somewhat pressured to eat more pasta than I normally would.I also found myself sampling different pasta dishes even when I was not hungry for the social benefits. Because I was on vacation, I felt that many people were encouraging me to eat more and try new things. It seemed acceptable to overeat in social situations.
  2. My food choice to overindulge in pasta relates to the societal issue of obesity.Obesity is an issue in many wealthy parts of the world.People with access to large amounts of food tend to overindulge. Many people,including myself, tend to eat even when they are not hungry for the social aspect involved with food or sometimes simply out of boredom. This continued behavior leads to obesity which explains why i gained a significant amount of weight over my vacation.It is socially acceptable to overeat when you are doing so in a social situation such as at a party or on vacation. I believe the social norm should be to only eat what is necessary for your body to be satisfied.ars5930 food diagram

2 thoughts on “Social norms food choice

1. Hi Aaliyah, this is Akiksha, currently a freshman at University Park. I am from India and understand how different parts of the world have different staple foods. I like your post because it highlights a very unique situation, which most of us indulge in and never feel guilty about. I like how you’ve given a statement in the end of what the social norm should be and tells us to learn to be satisfied. I also like your diagram as it depicts clearly what you’re trying to say in your post.

Here’s a link to my post : https://wp.me/p3RCAy-bGJ
    I hope you’ll get time to go through it too.