Mod 6

Not being born in the US definitely had its challenges, especially as a new comer to the country starting first grade. Luckily for me, I had the opportunity to learn enough English to get by without much difficulty. The transition was still very difficult especially for a young child in a foreign land, and we know how cruel little kids can be. I remember growing up, it was always taught to my sister and I that we don’t eat meat from outside the house as we don’t exactly know where the meat is coming from. Silly rule, but it was a traditional custom. This made lunch time very difficult as I was limited to what I can eat. As I got more comfortable with my classmates, I would see them eat Sloppy Joes every Wednesday. Boy did they look delicious. Under peer pressure and temptation I gave in. Now to this day, it is very common for my entire family to eat meat anywhere we go.

As my family and I started to consume more and more meat, we became you regular every day American meat eaters. It became a normal part of all meals. Even though I’ve seen people eat meat before coming to the states, it didn’t compare to how we consume meat here. I guess I never really gave it much thought to how much work goes into raising livestock. In figure 6.6 it shows that humans use plant crops and livestock for food. However, one big difference is that plant crops don’t need livestock, instead the livestock needs plant crops in order grow and eventually feed us. There are several issues with a livestock diet. More plant crop input is needed in order to raise the animals. Then we also have ethical issues as how the animals are being treated. Everyone is aware of how most livestock is kept and raised, yet we continue to consume it anyways.

diagrammod.6

2 thoughts on “Mod 6

1. Hello Shoeb, my name is Megan and my family also prefers eating meat from our own house. We live on a meet farm, so we know exactly what goes into the meat we are eating. I talked a little bit more about my lifestyle in my blog if you’d care to read: http://geog030.dutton.psu.edu/2016/03/04/goats-milk-is-good-megan-shrouts-take-on-la6/.
    Peer pressure often stems off of societal norms as they influence what we perceive as “cool”. I find it interesting how influential it was on your families lifestyle from just your lunch table at school. I like that your chart was informed by the food-agriculture system that we learned about in this lesson. The diagram is a little vague however, “affects” doesn’t imply how any component really impacts the other.
    Thank you for the read.

2. Hey Shoheb! I must say it was extremely refreshing not only to hear a newcomers view on American social norms but to see how they actually effected you in a positive way. I also enjoy the spotlight that you put on the shear amount of meat we over consume in America. One point of improvement would be to include your opinion on what the social norm should be, you point out the negative effects of eating a lot of meat yet close with the conclusion that we will just eat it anyways. All together really strong post especially with you graph, it had great clarity and really drove home the points you discussed! If you would like to check out my post the link is http://sites.psu.edu/geog30/2016/03/04/food-choice-and-social-norms-7/