Natalie Hall Mod 6

I grew up in family where nutrition was often overlooked, and we consumed a lot of unhealthy foods. Since coming to College at University Park I have tried to eat healthier and stay in shape. It is a social norm to stay fit these days, and this has influenced my food choice at college. This consists of trying to eat mostly high protein foods (ex. Grilled chicken), whole wheat, and natural foods (such as veggies). My roommate came to college already a big fitness and nutrition advocate, and I think her devotion encouraged me to consistently try to be fit. However, eating healthier is often less convenient, and harder to find here on campus. I don’t have access to a grocery store so I have to do my best with the food choices provided on campus.

The fitness social norm encouraged me to eat better, however after trying to eat healthier on campus I discovered how much unhealthy food there is compared to healthy and natural items. You can grab a slice of pizza and chips almost all the time, yet I have trouble finding a salad or anything not over processed. This leads to the societal issue of obesity. The agriculture system is pumping out high-calorie foods that are proven to be detrimental to your body and weight. Obesity is a huge issue all around the world, and after making my food choice I am able to witness why it is so prevalent everyday. I think that industrialized agriculture should either be regulated or encouraged to produce healthier foods, so people including myself can have an easier healthier lifestyle.

HAll mod 6 nutrition

One thought on “Natalie Hall Mod 6

1. Hi Natalie, I’m Tyler. I also wrote about fitness and nutrition, connecting the high protein diets utilized by many bodybuilder types to cancer and heart disease. I eat a lot of chicken and whole wheat foods, but often become worried about the consequences of consuming a high amount of protein daily. The point you made about unhealthy food on campus is also very relatable. If you want something quick, your healthy choices are very limited. I’d love to see some of the unhealthy options get replaced by healthier ones. Here’s a link to my post: http://geog030.dutton.psu.edu/2016/03/04/module-six-food-choice-and-social-norms/