Sustainable Cities- Carmen Madrigal

My hometown is Abbottstown, it is located in Adams County in Pennsylvania. I live in a small town with 1,013 residents that and it is a suburb area. Since it is a rather small town there are not as many jobs in this area. I have to say that it is enjoyable area to live in, but if you do not have a vehicle for transportation then you won’t be able to get anywhere. The reason why is it is small and it is located in a peaceful community the only downfall is there is not much to do. Although I like the fact that the small area I live in is in the middle of closer towns nearby which makes it easier for getting to places such as York, East Berlin, Hanover, New Oxford, and Gettysburg.

My first chose on a city would have to be Rochester, New York. It is an automobile suburb that has neighborhoods. Even though it is designed so that residents commute to cities via automobile it is a little similar to the town I live in. The reason why is because there are not many places to work in this area you need a car in order to get around. The difference is that there are many sidewalks in my neighborhood. I personally think that I could live here if I had to live somewhere else because it’s similar to where I live now. Something that can be learned from this city is that instead of taking cars everywhere people should use bikes or walk to places because it would improve the loss of fossil fuels.

The second city would be Jamaica Plain located in Boston Massachusetts. The reason why is it is a streetcar suburb. This is a little bit different from where I live. Although the concept of this place is it is set up similar to automobile suburb, but they have street car parking. The interesting thing is that they have nearby stores. This makes it a little easier for those who do not have a car to still have some kind of access to nearby places. I think that one of the insights that could be learned from this city is that my town should add more stores. I think that this would offer more jobs to people in my town and it would make it more convenient.

One thought on “Sustainable Cities- Carmen Madrigal