Urban Planning-Robert Hudert

I am from Wayne, New Jersey which is located in Passaic County. It is located in Northern New Jersey less than 20 miles from Midtown Manhattan. It is primarily an automobile subarb but with that said there are many NJ bus transit stops that people rely on for commuting to and from work in New York City. There are roughly 55,000 residents currently. Within Wayne there are many unincorporated communities and neighborhoods that are located around lakes. Primarily a residential community, Wayne is location of both Toys R Us and Valley National Bank headquarters. I have lived in Wayne all my life, and much of my extended family is from the New York City area. I like that my town is near New York City, as the lifestyle and development from the city has slowly shifted towards my area over the last 20 years. When my parents first moved here, many of the residential houses were farms or farmland. The one thing I don’t like is that th roads have become very crowded over the last few years.

My first choice on a city would be Jamaican Plan Boston. Though it differs from Wayne in regards that it is a street car suburb it shares the common practice with Wayne in the respect that it is a commuter town. It is a neighborhood called a streetcar suburb becuase it was designed for residents to take the streetcar into center city Boston. Relatively speaking, a lot of the transportation development in Wayne is designed to bring people to and from center New York City (Manhattan). When I was younger, there were about half the amount of NJ Transit bus stops as there are now, each designed first and foremost to aid in transporting people to and from New York City.As I have grown over the years, the town has added many additional stations including both bus and train to aid in this. Additionally, like Jamaican Plan, there are sidewalks everywhere for community members to walk.

My second choice is on a city is New York City. New York City is a the largest city in the United States and the primary transportation is in fact vehicles, though many people walk, ride bikes, and take public transportation. Though different in many ways than Wayne. Wayne has quietly developed into a small city, and has the largest population of all 11 surrounding municipalities. As stated above, many in Wayne rely on public transportation to get to and from work, very similar to New York City. Both have large bus systems, and though Wayne is a town, it is not uncommon for people to be seem taking cabs and taxis to and from places such as the Willowbrook Mall. What is somewhat similar is the fact that both places support small businesses. In NYC, it is not uncommon to see many small supermarkets and businesses among well known companies. The same can be seen in many of the neighborhoods in Wayne. Known as a shopping hub for people in surrounding countries, Wayne is the home to many local farms and stores.

One thought on “Urban Planning-Robert Hudert

1. Hey Robert, I’m Landon and I’m an accounting major. Living in New Jersey and being close to Manhattan must be nice except during rush hours. The public transportation to go in and out of New York so having large bus and train systems is a key aspect like you said. I find it very interesting that where you are from supports small businesses just like New York does. That is good, a lot of small businesses are going in and out of business within a couple of years where I’m from.
    http://geog030.dutton.psu.edu/2016/03/16/module-7-urban-living/