Joseph Carlamere: Lesson 7

I live in Swedesboro New Jersey, which is approximately 25 miles from Philadelphia. Philadelphia is rich in history and is the largest city in Pennsylvania, with a population of 1.5 million people. There are different sections of the city, each having a unique type of urban development. Center City, Philadelphia is pedestrian-oriented; meaning there are streetscape amenities, sidewalks with trees, office buildings, residential dwellings, parks, and public interest buildings all within walking distance. There is also an urban downtown section in Philadelphia; people living in this area can access public transportation to travel to work or shopping areas. Then there are people that live outside the inner city that fall within the automobile suburb. People commute daily to work, dine, and visit the attractions of the city. I enjoy visiting Philadelphia, there is always something going on in the historical district, plus the Center for the Arts offers many primetime plays and musicals.

The city that I found interesting in this lesson is Copenhagen. The aggressive urban design focused on “cycling as a social norm” is a tribute to the effectiveness of collective action. The pedestrian-oriented lifestyle in Copenhagen has contributed to the reduction of greenhouse gas emissions and the quality of life for Copenhagen’s citizens has improved (Penn State University, 2016). In Philadelphia, you can see some people biking, rollerblading, or skateboarding as a method of transportation, but this type of travel is certainly not the norm. Center City Philadelphia does not have the pedestrian infrastructure to accommodate this type of everyday travel. However, Philadelphia does have a sustainable initiative; there is a “greenworks” project that focuses on repurposing the city, there are also community gardens throughout the city, and there is a tree-planting program that helps decrease air pollution and stormwater runoff (Phila.gov Staff, 2016).

The second city that I found interesting is Detroit; the urban farming developed on the open lots throughout the city is inspiring. As food prices increase the alternative is growing food for the community that is maintained by the community. This type of sustainable thinking contributes to the reduction of famine, scarcity, and pollution (Penn State University, 2016). Philadelphia has a Food Policy Advisory Council (FPAC) that is responsible for creating policies to improve the life of the residents in the city. Through the FPAC initiative community members and groups, city agencies, and non-profit groups collaborate to provide food to many of families throughout Philadelphia (FPAC Staff, 2015). The best part of an urban garden is it can be created anywhere; rooftops, in pots on a patio, or an open field or lot.

References:

“Sustainable Urban Development and Urban Farming.” Sustainable Urban Development and Urban Farming. Penn State University. Web. 17 Mar. 2016.

“Phila.Gov | Office of Sustainability.” Phila.Gov | Office of Sustainability. Phila.gov Staff. Web. 17 Mar. 2016. <http://www.phila.gov/green//index.html>.

“What We Do.” Philadelphia Food Council. FPAC Staff, 2015. Web. 17 Mar. 2016. <http://phillyfpac.org/what-we-do/>.

One thought on “Joseph Carlamere: Lesson 7

1. Hey, Joseph
    I thought what you talked about was very interesting and similar to my own. I definitely agree with your thoughts about Copenhagen. I think every place could really benefit from having a culture like Copenhagen’s in which bicycles are very friendly and are promoted as one of the safest easiest ways to travel around town. Here is a link to my blog if you want to check it out. http://sites.psu.edu/geog30/2016/03/18/kevin-hosterman-module-7/