Annaliese Long – Module 7

1. My hometown is Pottstown, PA. Pottstown is located in the southeastern part of Pennsylvania in Chester County. It takes about 45 minutes to an hour to get to Philadelphia. Mostly all of Pottstown would be considered an automobile suburb. Everyone drives their car from place to place in my town because everything is so spread out, it would be impossible to walk everywhere. There is also no bus or subway system in my town, so people need their own mode of transportation. I specifically live in a part of Pottstown called North Coventry. There are about 7,866 people that live in North Coventry as of the 2010 census. I have lived in my current house for exactly 14 years as of this past February. I only moved there when I was five, so most of my childhood memories are there. One of the main reasons why I like my hometown is its location to other things. It is relatively close to Philadelphia, the King of Prussia mall, the Exton mall, and other towns that surround us.
  2. The first city that I’m going to discuss is Detroit, Michigan. This city was discussed in the module in respect to its up-and-coming sustainability method of urban farming. Since this is a fairly large city consisting of many hi-rise buildings, there is not that much space for locally grown food. However, Detroit is taking the initiative to start little gardens all throughout the city in order to increase their currently small amount of locally grown food. My hometown could very much benefit from this sustainable idea. Pottstown used to be covered in farmland, but now with an increasing population and the demand for more residential living areas, the land for farming is dwindling. The population of Pottstown could use the method of urban farming, so people can start to make their own food. It also provides healthier food choices, and it leaves less of an ecological footprint without the need for transporting the food.
  3. The second city I’m going to discuss is Curitiba, Brazil. This city was discussed in the module in respect to the fact that this city has the best bus system in the world. There is a decent amount of people living in this busy city, so they designed their city around the bus system. Since they couldn’t afford a subway system in the early stages of development, the people of Curitiba designed their city around the bus system. It makes sense now because of how cheap and efficient it is. My hometown could also benefit from this method of sustainability. Having a bus system in my town that mostly everyone would use could make transportation much more efficient and better for the environment. Pottstown does not even have a bus system set up right now. But with one, we could decrease traffic in high-density parts of my town.

3 thoughts on “Annaliese Long – Module 7

1. Hi my name is Josh Tubay and I live in Lancaster County, not too far from you. I think your two points could be useful for towns that are small but not too small. They urban agriculture is something that every city can definitely work on, and could change any town. Busing is harder to do but just as effective. It eliminates car traffic which is very popular in smaller metropolitan areas. My post is at: http://sites.psu.edu/geog30/2016/03/18/urban-planning-5/

2. Hi Annaliese, my name is Omar. Here is a link to my post: http://geog030.dutton.psu.edu/2016/03/18/urban-transportation/

In my post, I talked about urban transportation in Tripoli, Libya and how it could benefit from the experiences of Copenhagen, Denmark and Curitiba, Brazil.

I agree that cities should do more urban gardening, its more sustainable and promotes a healthy lifestyle. Detroit, Michigan is a good example because its a big city and surely would face more challenges in urban farming than a smaller city, so the same ideas should work on smaller cities. I also talked about Curitiba, Brazil, they built a very efficient bus system. What I really like about it is that its cheaper than a subway system but as efficient.

3. HI, My name is Benjamin Bishop and i live not too far away from you! I live in Doylestown which is a part of Bucks County. I liked your post because i could relate to it. I could relate to it because of the fact that your hometown can not walk to all places and pretty much requires cars. In addition i related to how my home town has no public transportation either. I would appreciate it if you looked at mine and told me what you thought!
    http://sites.psu.edu/geog30/2016/03/18/a-wonderful-town-lacking-whats-most-important/