Hometown

I live in the small town of Carbondale, Pennsylvania. It is in the Northeastern part of the state. It is about 45 minutes North of Wilkes-Barre. The types of neighborhoods that are in Carbondale are very mixed. It is very pedestrian oriented and you can easily walk everywhere but most people drive everywhere instead of walking. There is a downtown section where there are privately owned. There is also a hotel downtown that has shops and restaurants in it. Carbondale has a population of about 8,800 people. I have a deep connection with this city. This is where I was born and raised. My parents and grandparents were also born and raised here. It is a small town and I love it. I love that everyone knows everyone. Whenever I am home for a weekend I am always sad to go back to school because I know how much I will miss home. Home to me is cozy and adorable.

The module talks about New York City. Where I live is only about 2 and a half hours from New York City. There are so many people in my hometown that go on day trips to NYC. Personally I do not like the city, I prefer the country. I think the one convenient thing about cities like New York City is that you can walk everywhere. Being a pedestrian oriented city makes is easy for people not to own cars. It is also convenient that the biggest city in the United States has a harbor that is popular. This means that many good can come into the harbor. I also feel like because of the harbor, there are plenty of jobs for people to have there. If Carbondale had something like this then there would be more jobs there and people would not have to travel as much to find a job.

I loved that the module talked about Venice, Italy. This is somewhere I am always wanted to travel to. Something I love about it is that is is car-free. Cars pollute our air, making them not good for us. I can imagine Venice being so clean with fresh air because is it pollution free. Not having a car is not possible to have in my area. Although Carbondale is small enough to walk around, in order to go to the mall or grocery shopping or movies you have to drive at least 30 minutes. I would love to live in an area where I could get a bike and ride that rather than have a car. If everywhere was like this is would be better for our planet. The module talks about automobile suburb and that is what Carbondale is when you need to go somewhere that is not in Carbondale.

3 thoughts on “Hometown

1. Hi, I’m Ralph Diaz (my link is: https://wp.me/p3RCAy-cat ). Your mentioning of the harbor in NYC makes me wonder how much of the population relies on the harbor for work. I have always wondered how such densely populated cities, such as New York, can consistently provide a sufficient amount of work for its population. The harbor could very well be the answer to this query. Something I wish more people understood is that cars and fossil fuels in general produce high amounts of pollution, but this does not mean they are bad for us: as a species, we would not be where we are today without fossil fuels. Fossil fuels have directly accelerated our population growth through allowing us to grow crops cheaply and distribute them essentially anywhere in the world. This population growth has allowed us to develop as a society in everything we invest time in — medicine, materials, art, sports, science, etc. Nearly everything that makes us who we are has been directly developed because of oil or indirectly developed because oil has saved humanity enough time producing basic necessities to develop ourselves toward the indirect development. Though we are destroying the environment, we are creating a beautiful thing — society.

2. Hey Katelyn check out my post here: https://wp.me/p3RCAy-cCi

My name is Karissa and I was drawn to your post based off your discussion of Venice, Italy. In my post I also talked about how cars affect our air. I like how you want to avoid or reduce your car use by living in an area with such aspects. I also enjoyed how you compared New York to Carbondale. Though you prefer the country, you were still able to point out benefits of living in New York.

Awesome post!

-Karissa