Learning activity 7 – Jiye Choi

Since I’m not from urban area, I choose somewhere else but close to my town and urban area which is Seoul. Seoul is the capital of South Korea I can say whole city is urban downtown.  It is such a big city and has high urban density at the same time. Population of South Korea is about 50-million and the population of Seoul is about 10-million 1/5 of nation population live in Seoul.  Area of the city is 605km^2 which is 1/3 of Tokyo. Seoul has great transportation system.  There are 18 different subway lines you can go almost everywhere with subway not only in the Seoul but you can go to another city. There are lots of bus lines too, in general the first bus is starting at 5am and running through about 12am. Han-gang river flow across the city and Bukhansan(Mt.) national park is located in the Seoul. Even though I don’t have any family or relatives I often go to Seoul for fun like meeting friends, shopping etc.

First city I chose is New York. New York is one of the biggest cities in the USA which is very similar to Seoul. I thought New York and Seoul are very similar to each other whenever I visited New York. First, both cities have high urban density. Second, they have good transportation system. As I mention previous paragraph, Seoul has great transportation system and also New York have 24 hours subway, and lots of buses running throughout the day. Both cities have limited space but many people to manage, they built skyscrapers. However, big attraction is both cities have green inside of the city (Central park and bukhansan Mt. national park). Finally, two cities have river which running through the city but the difference is that Hudson River has New York harbor which is very active,but Han-gang River isn’t active as New York harbor they don’t transport big ships. To be more sustainable, they need to develop the parks and encourage people to use transportation systems.

Second city I chose is Shanghai, China. Shanghai is not a capital of China but it is the greatest city. The area is 10 times larger than Seoul and population 24-million. It means Shanghai has less urban density than Seoul. First, as many big cities, Shanghai has Yangzi River running through the city. Shanghai is still developing level, they don’t really concentrating on the sustainability yet. Air quality is very low, because of factories and constructions. Today, Seoul people having hard time with fine dust, it is much worse than that in Shanghai. But Shanghai also has good transportation system, for example subway have 16 different lines. They can encourage people to take public transportation and to be more sustainable, they should consider environmental aspects when they develop the industries.

One thought on “Learning activity 7 – Jiye Choi

1. Hey Jiye,

It’s really interesting to read about a place as foreign to me as Seoul. It’s always enjoyable to me to learn about distant cities because cities all have similar characteristics but often do things pretty differently. As you stated in your post both New York and Shanghai have very similar qualities to them, they even all have rivers flowing through them. Posts like this also remind me of how important transportation is for cities, given how large and dense the population is.
    Fellow Classmate,
    Ryan Gebhardt
    Link to my post:
    http://geog030.dutton.psu.edu/2016/03/18/module-7-ryan-gebhardt/