Mod. 7 Kara Timmons

I live in Greencaslte, Pennsylvania, its South Central Pennsylvania. The types of neighborhoods that are about Greencaslte is automobile suburb. The population that live in Greencaslte is 4,040 and the last recording was in 2013. I have always lived here and I cannot compare it to another town, but I love the feel of small towns and the connection they have on people. There are a lot of people that want to leave Greencasltle because it is so small but they leave and end up coming back. However, not everyone likes small towns and actually do end up leaving and going to a city or a bigger town.

The first city from the module that I will discuss is Chicago. Chicago is a big city with several streets and suburban areas. Even though this is true, they still are able to have some sustainability in some interesting ways. Chicago is good at doing urban agriculture. There are small plants that are used for agriculture purposes all over the city. Whether it be on the top of an apartment building or in a courtyard, they seem to do a good job at urban agriculture. This is relevant to my home town because there is a lot of farming around my area but despite that my town has several urban agricultural areas. You will see tomatoes growing on the side of sidewalks a lot. I think my city could become more sustainable if we had a local farmers market where the whole town could bring their own garden products.

The second place I will talk about is Copenhagen. Copenhagen is great in the fact that they reduce traffic by prohibiting cars in certain streets and allowing bikers to go on them. This makes it more convenient to ride a bike which reduces gas admissions tremendously. This is good because they make it easier to become a bike rider, and as a result it has made Copenhagen an amazing place in the sight of many people. The reason I believe this relates to my town, is because we have a lot of teenage bike riders, but there are no lanes or parking stations for the bikes. I think it would be awesome if my town would encourage more biking in the community. The irony of it all, is we had a local business that only sold bicycles which went out of business due to lack of customers. I feel as though we should implement the same things Copenhagen did in order to be more sustainable.

2 thoughts on “Mod. 7 Kara Timmons

1. Hi, Kara,
    Interesting correlation between Copenhagen and your hometown of Greencastle, discussing how there are a lot of teenage cyclists but no lanes for them on the roads. Given what you described about your hometown, it does not seem like a far stretch for them to implement something to utilize cycling as an alternative source of transportation. Nice post! Here is a link to my article post, and if you get the chance, feel free to read: http://geog030.dutton.psu.edu/author/hzs5199/

– Harrison

2. Hi Kara, I love your ideas of encouraging more biking and trying to do more urban farming. I also live in a small town like you, but there aren’t lot of bikers where I am so something like that wouldn’t be as beneficial in my town. I hope that the leaders in your town recognize there is a need for biking lanes.
    Rachel
    You can look at my blog here: https://wp.me/p3RCAy-cze