Sustainable Cities

My home town is a small pedestrian friendly town surrounded my suburbs and farmland. In Marietta Pa the population is barely over 3,000. The town features its own elementary school, fire and police station, post office and a variety of small businesses. The 0.80 square mile town is easy to walk around and has all of the services that would allow one time never have to drive, if they so chose. If you lives a few miles outside of the small town of Marietta you would have to rely on some form of vehicular transportation for virtually every aspect of your needs. Although many people who live in the area still prefer to own cars and drive many places. Even though my hometown is walkable many people do not utilize this characteristic nor value it. Major cities like NYC have every service available within walking distance or through public transportation making owning a vehicle an obsolete notion. If this was more widely available in a larger variety of areas more people would value the idea of a walkable town or city.

One thought on “Sustainable Cities

1. Hi Megan, this is Shoheb. I decided to comment on your entry because I thought it was very interesting that the total population in your tow is roughly 3,000 people. I guess growing up in Philadelphia, it’s hard for me to imagine other places in PA that isn’t similar. However, I think it’s really cool that you have such a small town feel where you’re from. I liked that you also mentioned it is a pedestrian friendly town, and compared a bit to NYC. Also, just as a side note I think maybe elaborating a little more on your city vs other cities would’ve definitely given us a better idea of your home town. However, great work nonetheless. Here is the link to my entry. Thank you.
    http://geog030.dutton.psu.edu/2016/03/21/philadelphia/