Vulnerability Reduction- Pittsburgh

My hometown is Pittsburgh, Pa. On the Nathan map document Pittsburgh is in zone 0: MM V or below for earthquakes. Also, Pittsburgh is not in the typical cyclone affected area on the map. Pittsburgh is in the low range for Hail storms, wildfires and Extratropical storms (winter storms).  The climate impact marker indicating increased heavy rains is near Pittsburgh location. Furthermore, Pittsburgh is in Zone 2 for Tornados, according to the map. El Nino patterns give Pittsburgh warmer weather and less storms. It was mentioned in the module, that PA has one of the lowest vulnerabilities in the United States.  The Nathan maps would be more suited for this task if you could zoom in on select cities or parts of the map and keep the resolution. For many of the different categories Pittsburgh seem near two different zones, zooming would help clarify which zone the city was in.

Using the RSOE EDIS, I choose the Biological Hazard in Wisconsin and Michigan. It was reported on March 5, 2016. The biological hazard is level 2 out of 4 levels. The biological hazard is Elizabethkingia meningoseptica (outbreak), a total of 44 people have been infected, and 17 are dead. Elizabethkingia meningoseptica is a bacterium which is normal found in hospitals. Pittsburgh could experience the same type of disaster. I feel that Pittsburgh is very vulnerable to this type of disaster because it home to UMPC hospital network, and many other hospitals in and around the city. The description of the hazard states it is happening in Wisconsin and Michigan, after more research I found that the cases are from many different counties. I believe the Pittsburgh and the surround areas would be a larger scale than the affected area. I believe the impact of the hazard would be worse if it happened in Pittsburgh. There are more people and hospitals in Pittsburgh.  The infection would be able to be transferred more rapidly. According to the module, there are many different levels of vulnerability. For a biological hazard, I believe the human factors would have the most impact on vulnerability, mainly education, age, and governance. In my opinion education and governance would be the best ways to reduce the vulnerability to Pittsburgh. Everyone could educated about Elizabethkingia meningoseptica and the symptoms. This would reduce the transfer rate. Furthermore, policies about hygiene in the hospitals would further reduce the transfer rate.

According to the Nathan’s maps from the first paragraph, Pittsburgh faces heavy rains and possible tornados.  In my 23 years of living in Pittsburgh I have heard about 1 possible tornado actually touching down, which was on top of Mt. Washington. I don’t think there is a high probability of tornados in Pittsburgh, like the Nathan Maps suggest.  On the other hand, heavy rains are normal for Pittsburgh. For those of you who don’t know, Pittsburgh is surrounded by rivers. Flooding is a normal occurrence in some neighborhoods.  After some research into other natural disasters that Pittsburgh could face, I would the website for the Pittsburgh Regional Business Coalition for Homeland Security, which is filled with information and plans for many different disasters.  According to recent history and weather, Pittsburgh has a threat of floods, fires, blizzards, and droughts. (Natural Events 2016)  The article also states Pittsburgh could face cyber-attacks, biological and chemical threats. (Natural Events 2016)

I believe the first act to reduce vulnerability is to raise awareness and educate on the threats Pittsburgh faces. For example, if a flood watch is issued, the public needs to avoid road ways that are susceptible to flooding.  I believe the nightly new or the new papers would be the best people to perform the act of spreading awareness and educating the public on natural hazards in Pittsburgh. I could make sure that my family and I are prepared for any natural hazard Pittsburgh may face. For an example, my family and I have a meeting place in the event of a fire near or in our house. My family’s house is surrounded by woods and brush, which are susceptible to wild fires. The meeting spot is on higher ground away from the woods, and away from my house.

Resources

Natural Events.” Pittsburgh Regional Business Coalition for Homeland Security. Last Modified 2016.   http://www.pittsburghcoalitionforsecurity.org/disaster-preparedness/natural-events/.

One thought on “Vulnerability Reduction- Pittsburgh

1. Hi Katy,

My name is Humna and here is a link to my post: https://wp.me/p3RCAy-d8t.

I have heard so much about Pittsburgh that your entry immediately caught my eye. I know many people from my high school go there for college so I was curious what type of weather changes they may deal with. It all seems very similar. I agree though that the Nathan maps should zoom into cities because one of its findings differed from my experience. It stated that tornadoes are more common than I have found them to be in my years in the city.