Natural Hazards- Kara Timmons

1. My hometown, Greencastle, is located in the south-central area of Pennsylvania. According to the map that indicates hailstorms, my area has a low frequency and intensity of hailstorms. I do not remember getting many hailstorms, but one in a while we get hit with a hail storm. The next map is extratropical storms which are winter storms. My hometown is in zone 1 which indicates that we get peak wind speeds of 81-120 kilometers. The next map is tornados. In my area, we are in zone 2. Within the past couple of years, my area hasn’t had any tornados but tend to get the storms and high winds that come with the tornados that are in neighboring states. In most of the maps, my hometown is on the low hazardous category. You don’t need to worry about hailstorm, wildfires, or tornados; which seems like a good area to live.
  2. The event that I choose is a volcano eruption in Alaska. My hometown can no experience this disaster because my area does not have a volcano in the area. In my area, the environment is not suitable for a volcano either. The volcano is called Pavlof Volcano. The environment that the volcano is located is much different than my hometowns. The environment includes snow and glaciers. The elevations of my town and Pavlof are also different. The elevation of Pavlof is 8,251 feet and my hometown is 587 feet. This is a difference of 7,664 feet. If my hometown did have a volcano near it, the town could be affected very much. There isn’t much you can do to reduce a disaster like an erupting volcano, except for evacuating the area. However, to make sure people are evacuated in time, scientist need to evaluate the volcano at all times.
  3. From my experience of living in south-central Pennsylvania, and the information in parts one and two, the only natural hazard that I experienced was tornado threats in my area. The tornados never were close enough to damage a building. There were high winds that broke branches off of trees and a large amount of rain that flooded streams that expanded over roads. Because of drainage in the streets in Greencastle, our town in recent years hasn’t flooded a great deal. This past winter my area had been hit with a category 4 blizzard. In my hometown, we had about three feet of snow. The blizzard effected about 102.8 million people. From my own experience, I was stuck at home all weekend, not able to go anywhere. The snow was up to my hips and could barely walk through the snow. Although I couldn’t go anywhere for a couple of days, it was a fun experience. I know can say that I survived the 2016 category 4 blizzard.

NOAA Ranks January 2016 Blizzard Category 4 on the Northeast Snowfall Impact Scale. National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, 28 Jan. 2016. Web. 30 Mar. 2016.

1. For Greencastle to be less vulnerable to natural hazards, the town and towns around could keep documents of vibrations (earthquake), sand bags (flooding), improve water drainage (flooding), and cut back on water usage to prevent a drought. The best people to perform these actions are firemen, police officers, scientist, the National Guard, and even the whole community. What I can do for my community in case of a natural hazard is make sure families have emergency kits and a communication plan, so that each family member knows what to do during a natural disaster. I could also help with a community shelter if there is a hurricane or a tornado. I love the community that I live and I hope that other people would get involved to help everyone be safe during a national disaster.

One thought on “Natural Hazards- Kara Timmons

1. Hello Kara, im Garrett and im a junior here at University Park. I really enjoyed your post because we are both from Pennsylvania, and both our towns are in threat of Tornadoes. However I haven’t had the chance to experience one, but i have driven through the aftermath of one that touched down outside of Galeton PA, don’t know if you know it or not. I liked your pick for a natural disaster of a Volcano, and i also agree not much can be done to stop the destruction. I picked an earthquake that was taking place in New Zealand, however it was a very small scale and far enough away from people that they couldn’t even feel the vibrations. I agree with all your precautionary measures for your town, and I would like all of them to happen in my town in case of a flood event. I also think it would be a good idea to hold meetings and educate the community about the risks and other ways they can be ready for a severe weather event. Very good post and here is a link to mine, if you feel so inclined.
    https://sites.psu.edu/geog30/?p=49747&preview=true