Vulnerability Reduction: Kelsey Somers

1. My hometown is Pottsville, Pennsylvania. Pottsville is located in Northeastern Pennsylvania. I found the Nathan World Map of Natural Hazards very interesting to survey. Using the Nathan World Map, the map showed that Pottsville is in zone 0 for Earthquakes, zone 2 for hailstorms, zone 2 for winter storms, zone 3 for tornados, and zone 1 for wildfires. Also, my area is very susceptible for increase in heavy rain shown in the first map. I would have to disagree with the tornado rankings because my hometown does not experience tornados. It’s rare we experience a tornado, maybe once every four to five years. I do agree with the level of rankings for hailstorms and winter storms which we do experience. Overall, it was hard to exactly tell what the weather is like for a specific town. I tried to zoom in on the map, but after zooming in the map became blurry and hard to read. 
  2. From the Hungarian National Association of RSOE and EDIS map, the disaster I chose is a biological hazard in Angola, Africa which started on February 16th 2016, at 3:12 AM. The biohazard level is a high of 3-4. There is a yellow fever outbreak and unfortunately 168 people are dead and 1,132 people are infected. It is the first epidemic of the disease to hit the country in 30 years. There is no specific treatment for the viral hemorrhagic disease which is transmitted by infected mosquitos. Vaccination is the most important preventive measure against yellow fever. There is a very rare chance for my hometown to experience yellow fever. My hometown is not exposed to mosquitos all year round unlike Africa. We’ll experience mosquitos in the summer especially if it’s hot. My town is less vulnerable because we’re much smaller than Angola.  As I stated before there at already 1,132 people infected and my hometowns population is approximately 4,500. Angola’s population is much larger with approximately 21.47 million people. Therefore, most of the population in my hometown would be infected. One way to lower vulnerability for this type of biological hazard would be to take precautions for disease outbreak such as vaccinations and be educated on the severity of yellow fever.
  3. When I searched for natural hazards in Pottsville PA, not many sources came up. My hometown earthquake index is 0.09 (“Pottsville”). This earthquake index is ranked #846 in Pennsylvania. According to USA.com, the chance of earthquake or tornado damage in Pottsville is about the same as Pennsylvania average and is much lower than the national average (“Pottsville”). Pottsville is at a zero risk for volcanoes. A risk for a tornado is 115.81 (“Pottsville”).  According to the source, in 1992, Schuylkill County (where Pottsville is) was affected by a tornado that had a distance of 17.8 miles and a property damage of 2.5M (“Pottsville”). Two people were injured from that tornado in 1992. I was not born to witness this tornado, but my parents do remember it.
  4. There are several actions that can be taken to reduce vulnerability in my town. We need to be aware of potential issues that can happen and be properly prepared. Also, being educated can help avoid natural hazards from happening. Pottsville can experience severe rain and winter storms. To reduce the effects of these disasters we can keep people off of the roads besides emergency vehicles. If a natural hazard type of event is going to occur, stock up on items that you and your family needs to keep you nourished and safe. What I can do is watch the local news and be well prepared for natural disasters approaching. Being prepared is the most important.

Source for #3:

“Pottsville, PA Natural Disasters and Weather Extremes.” – USA.com™. N.p., n.d. Web. 31 Mar. 2016. <http://www.usa.com/pottsville-pa-natural-disasters-extremes.htm>.

2 thoughts on “Vulnerability Reduction: Kelsey Somers

1. Hi Kelsey, my name is Jonah Kim and here is a link to my blog:
    http://sites.psu.edu/geog30/2016/04/01/50637/

What really caught my eye was the fact that you are from Pottsville. You are right around the neighborhood. Anyway I noticed that our hometowns had many similarities, but some differences too. Earthquakes and wildfires I got the same zones. However, for hail I got zone 3, tornados I got zone 1 and winter storms I got zone 1. It’s crazy that the our results could be so different even though we live so close and I feel like it has to do with the Nathan Map being so large and the scale that we were using was just way too big.