mod 8- natural hazards

1. There are a few natural hazards that have an effect on my hometown which is Doylestown, PA. On the Nathan map, Doylestown was in the area for tropical cyclones, hail storms, and tornadoes. It is in zone 2 tropical cyclone territory which means wind speeds up to 212 km/h. Doylestown is also in zone 2 hailstorm territory which means the town gets a moderate not too intense storm. It is in zone 2 for tornadoes as well, so it gets low intensity tornadoes every once in a while. I don’t think this map is a very good fit because I have lived in
    Doylestown for my entire life and have never experienced an earthquake or tropical cyclone.
  2. I read about a biological hazard that took place in Georgia. It is level 4 out of 4 on the hazardous scale, so this is a serious issue. Something like this could happen in my hometown, but biological hazards do not happen very often in general. This problem is in a town in Georgia that is a similar size to Doylestown and only one person is currently affected. This hazard is deadly and could spread through the air. If a problem like this happened in Doylestown the people who live in the most urban parts will be the most vulnerable.
  3. From my personal experience the only natural hazards that occur in Doylestown, Pa are big snow storms. We have been having bad winters with a lot of big snowstorms. I researched the history of natural hazards in Doylestown and found some more from the past. Doylestown has had 3 earthquakes in the past, so there is a slight chance for earthquakes. There have also been many tornadoes there which are also present in the area. http://www.usa.com/doylestown-pa-natural-disasters-extremes.htm
  4. For my town the main natural hazards are tornadoes and snow storms. One thing that the town does already for these is issuing weather warning whenever there is a high chance of either. Another idea is to have people stay away from or out of the main urban part of the town. If a tornado were coming, this could get a lot of people out of an area with many buildings and other structures that could cause harm to them due to the tornado. One thing I think that I can do is to inform others about the causes of tornadoes.  A tornado needs a cold rainy downdraft and a warm updraft, so telling people this might allow people to recognize a tornado before it actually happens.

2 thoughts on “mod 8- natural hazards

1. Hi Bryan! Your post stuck out to me because I too am from Doylestown, PA. I agree that the biggest natural hazard in Doylestown are big snow storms, we get at least one big one every year! I do remember in 2012 we got hit really hard from Hurricane Sandy and most people in the area lost power for about a week. I think informing others about the tornadoes is a great idea- since normally we don’t get any natural hazards I feel as though people in our area are unfamiliar with that topic. In my post, I wrote about getting the word out through Facebook/ flyers so people would know what to do if we happened to get a tornado/ hurricane. Good post!
    Here is the link to my blog if you want to check it out
    https://wp.me/p3RCAy-dfT

2. Hi Bryan,

I’m Taylor, here is a link to my post:
    http://geog030.dutton.psu.edu/2016/04/01/gunderson-mod-8/

Doylestown sounds like a pretty safe place when it comes down to it! Hopefully, since they are so common, they are prepared for storms that could have large amounts of snowfall associated with them. It’s towns that are unprepared for things like that, that end up suffering. Example: D.C. gets has gotten hit by a few blizzards over the past few years and look how badly they’re crippled when it happens!! You think they would better prepare themselves for something like that. Great post, good luck with the rest of the course.