Module 8

Part 1:

North Eastern United States primarily focusing on Scranton, Pennsylvania.

The Nathan World Map of Natural Hazards shows that Scranton, Pennsylvania is in Zone 0 for Earthquakes, and Tropical Cyclones. There are no volcanoes or Tsunamis and/or Storm Surges in the area of Pennsylvania to be concerned about. The only climate impact on page 3 that may be slightly concerning is the increase of heavy rains symbol that is shown slightly above were Pennsylvania would be. This would cause a higher risk of flooding. Personally, I have seen precautions already taken to prevent flooding in low elevation areas. The hailstorms are shown for Zone 2, Extratropical Storms: AKA Winter Storms – Zone 1 and Tornados in Zone 3. I feel like I would disagree with the fact that we are in Zone 3 for tornados. Yes we do have tornados a few times a year but nothing that does significant damage like down in the south or even in the mid-west.  If anything I feel like we should be in a Zone 2. Also, for wildfires Scranton, Pennsylvania is shown in a Zone 1.

Part 2:

Base Data: Terror Attack, April 1st 2016 3:11 Am (UTC).

Geographic Information: Continent- Asia, Country- Turkey, Settlement – Diyarbakir,

Number of affected people / Humanities Loss: Dead person(s) – 4, Injured Person(s) – 14

Scranton, Pennsylvania can experience the same type of disaster. I feel and hope that Scranton wouldn’t be targeted for such a horrible disaster but unfortunately you can never tell these days. Every town in the United States, or even in the world does have a threat of a terrorist attack. I feel like an event like this would be more traumatic in Scranton, PA compared to Diyarbakir because an event like this has never occurred in Scranton. Also I feel like it would be less effective. Diyarbakir has a population of over 930,000 people and Scranton, PA has just over 75,000 people. A city this small I feel like wouldn’t be as big as an event if it were to happen in Scranton.  Scranton has never had such a disaster occur which may lead people to be more vulnerable because they have lower guard. Security in the city would possibly not suspect such a disaster which would leave the town for an open attack.

Part 3:

From my own experience this area is vulnerable to flooding. It is not a common occurrence but every few years this is a heavy amount of rainfall and this area floods. Especially in the spring time. When snow melts and the runoff water has nowhere to go because the ground is still frozen, this is when a heavy amount of flooding occurs. 2006 was the last worst case that I witnessed. Roads were closed due to flooding or were just washed away. People were evacuated from their homes if they lived close to the river or by a dam. Houses were even washed right off of their foundation. In 2006 I witnessed my hometowns pre-event preparedness plan go into action when evacuating people from their homes in the fire trucks and bringing them to the school for shelter.

Part 4:

A Pre-Event Preparedness plan starts with a Warning System. Flood Watch indicates flooding is possible and to monitor radio and television stations for more information. Flash Flood Watch indicates that a flash flood is possible and to be prepared to move to higher ground; monitor radio and television stations for more information. Flood Warning means there is imminent threat of flooding is occurring or will occur soon; if advised to evacuate, do so immediately. Flash Flooding Warning indicates imminent threat and a flash flood will be occurring soon, seek high ground on foot immediately. These are the first steps to take when warning a city about floods. Unfortunately in this area, especially depending on the amount of snow we get in the winter, you cannot control flooding but you can control how you keep your citizens safe.

3 thoughts on “Module 8

1. Small towns not needing to fear terrorism is quite a conflicting reality. Though they “can” happen anywhere, they most likely occur in urban areas which is similar to natural disasters as the most damaging ones occur in highly concentrated populations due to the fact that these populations likely reside in natural protective habitats. Most places in the U.S. at least that have exposure to natural disasters are quite prepared to deal with them due to prior experience, alert stations, emergency procedures, and such unlike in other parts of the world that have less development shifting the onus of responsibility to individuals rather than both individuals and communities. Overall, is flooding more dangerous while it occurs or after as the area may be vulnerable to mud slides, soil erosion causing trees to fall and etc. By the way, names Gershom and here’s my blog http://geog030.dutton.psu.edu/2016/04/01/module-8-gershom-espinoza.

2. Hi jmw5890, my name is Megan and I also live in Pennsylvania. Having been to Scranton, I believe your area is more susceptible to tornadoes than my own town, in central Pennsylvania because Scranton has a lot more flat open ground. If you would like to know more about where I am from, here is my link: http://geog030.dutton.psu.edu/2016/04/01/la8-flooding-and-heatwaves-in-huntingdon-pennsylvania/
    Having a pre-event preparedness plan is a step in the right direction. Other than the national warning broadcasts and news reports, we do not educate about what to do if there is a flood. I would’ve like to see how you personally know about and could help with reducing your areas vulnerability.
    Your extreme event being a terrorist attack is hard to imagine in Scranton, but I believe you did a good comparison of the two. Scranton has a growing population of street gangs, so preparing for street crimes could help prepare Scranton if there ever was such an emergency as an attack.

3. Hello, I’m Tyler Davies. Reading your post of the terror attack and that Scranton, PA, could very well be vulnerable to this is eye opening. It’s always in the back of your mind but seeing it in black and white really brings the possibility to life. Flooding of course is always a major concern in north east. It’s amazing how even though there might not be much rainfall in the spring, winter’s snow fall can influence the flooding. If you care to read mine please click this link http://geog030.dutton.psu.edu/2016/04/01/module-8-natural-hazards-6/