Nathan World Disaster Map – Graham, TX

According to the Nathan World Map of Natural Disasters, my town of Graham, TX is susceptible to hailstorms (zone 6), tornadoes (zone 4), and wildfires (zone 2). I have lived in Graham for 18 months and during that time period I seen extreme thunderstorms that produced tornadoes and golf ball sized hail. The intensity and frequency of these storms can be very alarming. Two weeks ago, a F1 tornado destroyed homes about 30 miles from my house along a highway I frequently travel for work. The storm hit about 2 am in the morning giving residents little to no warning. During El Nino years, it is expected to be wetter with fewer storms. In comparison to this time last year, we have experienced less rain and fewer storms packing less intensity. During La Nina years, it is warmer and drier. During these cycles Graham has experienced extensive droughts leading to water restrictions. The area is very dependent on farming and cattle grazing so during these cycles, the economy suffers greatly. We are not well equipped to handle these episodes. The Brazos river flows through town but is controlled by dams. Water that is typically pulled from the river for irrigation does not occur because the Brazos River Authority reduces the river to little more than a large creek. During wetter seasons, the river floods which as I saw last year, destroyed homes and roads along the river.

According to the Hungarian National Radio Distress board, Eldridge, AL experienced a medium grade tornado today. The likelihood of that happening in Graham is pretty great. Graham is located in North-Central Texas on the edge of what is considered “Tornado Alley.” Each year severe thunderstorms pound the region during the spring and early summer with some storms capable of producing tornadoes. The cause of these tornadoes is due to the cold air coming down through the Rocky Mountains and converging with the warm moist air of the Gulf. From a topographic standpoint, Graham is very flat and that allows these storms to touchdown.

This was considered a medium storm. If it were to happen in Graham, we would experience the same kind of damage. Most people here have storm shelters or access to public shelters. There is also an alert system in place that sounds sirens if a tornado is possible. I think one possible solution to minimize the risk of human life would be for the city of Graham to offer grants or assistance to homeowners to purchase storm shelters.

One thought on “Nathan World Disaster Map – Graham, TX

1. Hi Dustin! My name is Kristin. Your post stuck out to me because it is a lot different than my hometown in Doylestown, PA. In Doylestown we are only in zone 2 for hailstorms and tornados, we very rarely ever have a natural hazard occur. However, we do get big snowstorms every winter. I have visited Texas many times and think they do a great job preparing residents in case of the event of a tornado. I think the tornado sirens and storm shelters are super helpful in order to keep everyone safe. I enjoyed reading your post!

Here is a link to my blog if you want to check out my post
    https://wp.me/p3RCAy-dfT