Vulnerability Reduction: Los Angeles

1. According to the Nathan World Map of Natural Hazards, Los Angeles is located in an area at risk of earthquakes. It shows that it falls under Zone 3 and 4 indicating that the probable maximum intensity is very high. This map is not very helpful when you are trying to look at specific cities, but it definitely gives you information on a larger scale. According to UNEP’s Global Risk Data Platform, Los Angeles has had relatively high peak ground acceleration and Spectral acceleration. Los Angeles also has over $600 million Multi-hazard average annual loss.
  2. According to the RSOE and EDIS, there is an Earthquake happening in Shingu, Japan at a 6.0 magnitude. This does not necessarily mean people will die, there is just damage to poorly built buildings and furniture is visibly moving. Los Angeles can definitely experience this type of event because we are located along the San Andreas Fault. It seems that Shingu, Japan has built their buildings to withstand earthquakes of this magnitude and I know Los Angeles has made an effort to do this as well. So, if we were to experience a 6.0 Earthquake I am sure most of our buildings could withstand it. However, since we are due for a very big earthquake the likelihood that a 6.0 earthquake would cause an aftershock with an bigger magnitude is possible. Also since Earthquakes can cause Tsunamis, Los Angeles could potentially deal with a second disaster because it is along the coast. Other than alerting people ahead of time, the only other way we could decrease vulnerability from a Tsunami is by evacuating. When it comes to Earthquakes, we must keep our infrastructure up to date and educate people on what to do when it happens.
  3. I have been in many earthquakes due to growing up in Los Angeles, however, I have not experienced an earthquake as large as a 6.0. I know that in the next decade we are supposed to experience a large earthquake along the San Andreas Fault. In school we have earthquake drills and I have taken courses at the Red Cross for earthquake awareness. Since southern California also experiences droughts it supposedly increases the friction along the fault line which causes it to build up even more tension.
  4. In order to decrease vulnerability in Los Angeles I believe we should continue to educate in schools about what to do when in an earthquake and the importance of storing emergency supplies. Elementary and High School teachers are capable of educating kids and organizations like the Red Cross can continue to offer courses as well. My role is to make sure earthquake awareness is a conversation that is held with my family and friends.

5 thoughts on “Vulnerability Reduction: Los Angeles

1. Hi Adriana,

My name is Maureen and I’m compelled to comment on your post. Since earthquakes are uncommon in my hometown, I have personally experienced only one. The earthquake happened while I was a work and no one knew what to do. Hence, I agree with you that Education regarding extreme hazards is important. Knowing what to do could ultimately save lives. What are some of the measures that the city is doing to prepare for the next big earthquake?

Please check out my blog at the link below:
    http://sites.psu.edu/geog30/2016/04/01/natural-hazards-maureen-a/

2. Hey Adriana, check out my blog post here: http://geog030.dutton.psu.edu/2016/04/01/hazards-in-my-hometown-kyle-hoke/

I was interested in your post because you are from Los Angeles. We always here about the risk for earthquakes on the West Coast, yet it is still a very populated area. We also hear a lot about wildfires in Southern California so that is another huge hazard. An earthquake is something I never experienced so I would not be educated on what to do during one, so it’s good to hear they educate in your hometown.

3. Hi Adriana,
    My name is Carmela and here is my blog post: http://geog030.dutton.psu.edu/2016/04/01/vulnerability-reduction-carmela-madrigal-lua/#respond
    Your post caught my attention when I read Los Angeles, California. I have a lot of family that live in California and I was born there. I have always heard that there are a lot of earthquakes in California, but I don’t think I could personally deal with earthquakes. Just like you mentioned in the near future the earthquakes will get even worse and I don’t want to imagine how much worse it can get. Overall, I like the fact that this is a conversation that comes up in your family because it is something that should be acknowledged.

4. Hi Adriana, My name is Mara and I’m an Education Major at Penn State UP. I was really interested to your post because I’m from New Jersey so, reading about the natural hazards in Los Angeles was very different. I thought it was incredible how Los Angeles has over $600 million Multi-hazard average annual loss. In my post, I also talked about how to decrease vulnerability we need to educate our community and help it become a safer area. Great post! If you want to check mine out, here is a link to my blog: http://geog030.dutton.psu.edu/2016/04/01/module-8-natural-hazards-4/

5. Hi Adriana,

My name is Humna and here is a link to my post: https://wp.me/p3RCAy-d8t.

In my answer, I wrote about forest fires and the possibility of one taking place in my city. I realized that this would be a disaster. I have often heard that there are many forest fires in California so I was surprised not to see it mentioned in your post and wanted to ask if that is a common natural hazard around your city.