WikiLeaks Module 9

WikiLeaks

2. My system diagram focuses on the information from the article WikiLeaks diplomatic cables. It mainly focuses on the Copenhagen accord.  A convention in Copenhagen was formed in response to the issue of climate change around the world. Countries got together trying to come up with ways to reduce human’s impacts on the environment. This is where the U.S came up with the Copenhagen accord. This accord would allow countries to set the own goals for cutting greenhouse gases, but it didn’t guarantee the greenhouse gas cuts needed to avoid dangerous warming. These obligations led many countries to disagree with the accord, especially the poorest. Getting as many countries to agree strongly served U.S interest. The U.S. then uses bribery and espionage to gain support of other countries. Some countries needed little persuading, such as the poorest nations who would receive aid.  Through these bribes, bulling, and promises of payments the United States eventually received 75% support for the accord. This was nearly 140 out of 193 of the negotiating countries. Even though the U.S. used bullying and bribery to get its way we can hope that it serves a purpose. Hopefully greenhouse gas levels will begin to decline as countries execute their plans.

3. Exposing the cables kind of crosses ethical boundaries. Action ethics makes us consider do the ends justify the means? The U.S. used dishonesty and bribery to obtain agreements on the accord, but did this need to happen. Maybe through more negotiating they could have come up with a plan that more countries would have agreed on without being pushed. Although, is it justifiable because it enables more sustainability in the world? It’s really hard to determine if the cables should have been exposed or not. However, this dishonesty could lead to other serious issues for the U.S. Now other countries will be skeptical when negotiating with the United States. This could then create collective action problems. If the WikiLeak didn’t happen maybe more countries would’ve agreed with the accord. Also, as we learned in module 9 collective action towards mitigation, there are many different countries, each unique in their own way. They see climate change in different ways than we do, so we shouldn’t pressure them to be on our side. However, the long term goal is to reduce carbon emission and climate change. In that sense I don’t think the cables were a big deal. The U.S. was just doing what they thought would help reach their end goal of reducing climate change.

2 thoughts on “WikiLeaks Module 9

1. Hi Johnna, I’m Eunice Lee majoring in Early Childhood Education. I thought your blog entry was interesting because you focused more on the article than I did. I thought your diagram was simple but valid and clear to know what has happened. I think my diagram focused on the causes of the climate change as well as the article! Furthermore, I have to disagree with your point that illustrated that the cables were not a big deal and the U.S was doing what they thought would benefit them. I think U.S should have acted more rationally and reasonably to convince developing countries to agree with the accord not bribing them.
    Thank you for sharing and this is my blog entry :http://geog030.dutton.psu.edu/2016/04/06/module-9-climate-change-3/

2. Hey Johnna! My name is Katy. I enjoyed reading your post. Your diagram caught my eye when I was looking through all of the post. You diagram is very simple and straight to the point. I liked that you diagram starts with burning fossil fuels. This point skipped my mind when I was creating my diagram. My diagram starts with I started with climate change. You can view my post here: https://wp.me/p3RCAy-dNr