Module 9

I found all of the WikiLeaks articles very difficult to understand.  What I know is that most of our world agrees that carbon emissions have pushed our Earth close to a “Planetary Boundary” and humans have got to agree on what to do so as not to reach that “unsafe state.”  To reach such an agreement, many “treaties” have been developed, argued, and voted on, but none agreed upon globally.  The US found the “accord” developed at Copenhagen in 2009 to be very advantageous to its personal welfare.  As a result, the US set out on a mission to get all other UN countries to agree on this “Copenhagen Accord”.  During this mission, US politicians and ambassadors, among other things, offered “grants”, financial incentives, gave ultimatums, and implied that they were the targets of a “phishing” scam in order to get countries (big, small, wealthy, and poor) to agree to this accord.  What happened next was not anticipated by US authorities; WikiLeaks cables revealed how the US manipulated countries and “offered negotiating chips” to get this accord passed.  In the end, approximately 75% of the UN countries have backed this Copenhagen Accord.  Was the US morally corrupt in its actions?  I believe so, because it had been using its huge finances to accomplish its own goals.  Is it good that the “WikiLeaks” occurred?  I think yes because even though it has been embarrassing, it showed the public (both domestic and foreign to the US) how US politicians work and will stop at almost nothing to accomplish it own ends.  
Without a doubt, the US is one of the, if not the, biggest producers of toxic “greenhouse gases.”  Also, without a doubt, many people do not conduct “individual mitigation”! So many of us, and I include myself in this, believe that it is “everyone else’s” problem to lessen greenhouse emissions.  I believe many Americans ask themselves why we should have to reduce our standard of living just so others are not overcome by increased water levels, extreme weather events, and the negative impacts of global climate change.  Unless we are directly affected by global warming (either physically or financially), I believe the average American will not change their ways in order to prevent us from reaching a “planetary boundary”.   Yet I believe that we who are the primary “emitters” should be the people who monetarily pay for greenhouse mitigation.   Should the residents of small, poor countries who add very little to greenhouse emissions have to change their way to prevent global warming?  I believe yes.  Anything that anyone can do to increase individual mitigation should be done!  On my individual end, I can help by eating locally grown produce because that is definitely available to me and I can make sure that I recycle every can and bottle that I use, not just the ones that are easy for me to recycle.  For that matter, I need to use refillable drink containers whenever possible!  These might seem like very small actions, but they keep me mindful of the precipice that which our Earth sits.  As I stated above, I think it was good that the State Department cables were made public, because it served as a check as to how American and others do business.  It is so easy for wealthy individuals and governments to push their weight around so they can get what they want.  Truthfully, I do not know what is right in this realm of global warming. Certainly this course has opened my eyes and mind to the footprints that I leave here on Earth.  The only tenets that I can adhere to are those of individual mitigation (recycling my wastes, using reusable containers, eating low on the food chain, buying locally).

Screen Shot 2016-04-07 at 11.15.35 AM

2 thoughts on “Module 9

1. Hey I’m Matt, I saw your post and thought you made some interesting points. Your diagram was very detailed and easy to follow. I agree with you on the fact that wealthy individuals/governments tend to push their weight around too much and impose power on individuals. I agree with you that the wikileaks article was difficult to follow but you were still able to put together a good post. Thanks for sharing, check out my post below.

http://geog030.dutton.psu.edu/2016/04/08/module-9-pavelko-fox/

2. Hello,

My name is Madison, and I am a junior at UPark. I really liked your blog, and I found your diagram to be very informative. It was interesting to me how you included so much detail in your diagram, and it gave me a lot of information on the topic. On the other hand, my diagram was a bit more basic. I also like your viewpoint on the greenhouse emissions. It is true that many of us have the outlook that we don’t need to stop what we are doing because it is not directly affecting us. Great job, and here is the link to my blog if you are interested: http://geog030.dutton.psu.edu/2016/04/07/ethics-on-the-us-actions/