David Youn Module 9

Untitled document

2. The issue of the climate accord begins with pollution. As pollution leads to many other issues, one of the important aspect of it is that, pollution cause greenhouse gas to be released to the environment. The release of greenhouse gas effects the climate drastically. Because of this, the world was observing climate changes. To stop this issue, United Nations, UN, proposes the Copenhagen Accord. This agreement will allow nations to reduce the amount of greenhouse gas being released to the environment. However, for this to occur, many nations would have to come to an agreement with the plan. United States wanted this accord to pass but many other nations were not interested because they weren’t causing environmental issues compared to United States. Because many nations were not interested in this accord, United States started to threat and bribe those countries. This information was leaked to the public and countries that were opposing the accord request high amounts of money. Since United States desperately wanted this accord, they compensated those countries that were against the Copenhagen Accord. One reason why United States wanted this accord to pass was that United States is and was one of the most pollution countries in the world. This led to 166 different countries agreeing to the Copenhagen Accord and 26 countries that were willing to join the accord. Because of United States action, the accord was placed to reduce greenhouse emission to the environment to mitigate the climate change that was occurring. Furthermore, Japan did not ask for an extension on the Kyoto climate treaty which gave a huge boost to the Copenhagen Accord.

3. In my view what United States did to gain the votes of other nations was extremely bad. One of those reasoning being is that the money they used to compensate or convince those countries were probably tax monies. I would agree with the plan if there were guarantees that the Copenhagen Accord will somewhat decrease greenhouse gas emission world wide. However, according to www.epa.gov, the greenhouse gas emission since 1990’s till 2012 nothing has changed much and showed a very consistent pattern. United States went out of it way to convince and bribe countries to get the Copenhagen Accord passed but nothing has been improved every since the accord was agreed upon. The controversial issue with the public learning about the bribery of United State isn’t a significant issue. As a powerful nation United States is, I believe that in certain ways they would have gotten a desired result. Thus, we need to develop a method to increase sustainability while decreasing greenhouse gas emission. Because of the greenhouse gas emission there has been temperature shifts around the world. The temperature range are shifting towards the north and the south pole. In my opinion, one of the most efficient ways to decrease greenhouse gas is for less people to used cars as a mean of transportation. If we can develop throughout United States where people have access to public transportation or everything is in walking distance, we can significantly decrease greenhouse gas emission. It will be extremely unlikely that decreasing in animal-based diet will occur to decrease greenhouse gas emission.

One thought on “David Youn Module 9

1. Hi David my name is Jonah and here is a link to my blog:

http://geog030.dutton.psu.edu/2016/04/08/module-9-jonah-kim/
    Your response to the second question was similar to mine because I talked about what the state department did and how it made me feel. I did think that what the US did was bad but I think in this case the ends justify the means. And you agree with the results just not the means. So I ask you what should the US have done? Obviously its a rhetorical question but still one to think about