Module 9

Module 9 diagram

The core concepts behind my diagram are pretty straight forward. Climate change is obvious and inevitable. People are recognizing this, but a core group of people, UNFCC, finally stepped up to make the Copenhagen Accord. This helped reduce greenhouse gasses and, overall, climate change. Since it was working, the US wanted to back the Copenhagen accord. However, they took the low road and began spying on other countries and threatening them in order for them to be involved to because this issue is so important. There were about 116 countries who also back the Copenhagen Accord, where 34 others were on edge about it. After some WikiLeaks let it be known that the US had these spaying charges on them, they back out. The important thing is, and what Is included in the diagram, is that eventually these countries back the Copenhagen Accord and it is helping the original cause, helping Climate Change.

I think climate change is obvious and there needs to be change immediately. However, I do not understand why the US thought threatening other countries was going to do anything long lasting. I think this obvious issue should be shown to people to make them see how obvious it is. This can happen with more education on the topic, which this course over all does. Although we go in-depth in the topic, key elements can be taken out and shown people. Like monoculture farming and all those videos about trash filled towns in 3rd world countries. People can also be taught, in simple terms, how to fix this problem. By address specifically who and what is causing these problems and start with those. We can no longer afford to rely on people to “do their individual part” because it’s the big things that are really affecting us. Explaining further…for example, I think it’s great that we can do our part of cutting down on gas emissions by trying to grow our own crops in our back yard or little community gardens, but there are still million of people who go to the grocery store who don’t see the impact they’re making on just the drive there. Because even the common people don’t know the effect it makes, it may help to instate some type of environmental education in schools, so even more people become aware of this issue and really start to make a difference in fixing climate change.

4 thoughts on “Module 9

1. Hi,
    My name is Chase. I really like how you designed your diagram! It is very similar to mine in that you chose to organize the process in a way that shows exactly how the climate shift led to problems, and eventually even bigger problems. Climate shift is a huge issue already, and with the cable, financial, and general well being issues, this problem grew way bigger. Great job and I enjoyed your post!

Here is a link to my post: http://geog030.dutton.psu.edu/2016/04/08/chase-sandler-module-9/

2. Hi! My name is Jacqueline and here’s a link to my blog!
    https://wp.me/p3RCAy-ec7

I really liked how your diagram was designed, on my diagram I only put a key word on my arrows but your addition of labeling the arrows with sentences really helps the viewer understand your diagram. I also agree with you that it is important for the public to see how these issues are being handled, especially when they are being mishandled. I thought that your ideas on how to cut down emissions was a great idea that I did not see in other posts! I think that getting more information out to the public will greatly help people see where they can make a huge difference starting with themselves. Great post!

3. Hey! My name is Shelby and I am currently as freshman at PSU University Park. After looking at your diagram, you included some of the main points from the article. Your paragraph helped explain your diagram, but could have gone into a few more details based on the article. However, I do agree with you about the US making threats. Making these threats may in turn lower support from other countries, which could then affect them negotiating with the accord. I think you did an awesome job! Heres a link to my blog if you want to check it out!!
    https://wp.me/p3RCAy-eaU

4. Hi, My name is Sarah, and here is a link to my blog post:
    http://geog030.dutton.psu.edu/2016/04/08/module-9-climate-change-11/
    I think that we had similar views for the second question of the blog post. I agree that there definitely has to be a change in the way that countries are treating the earth and the way that they are affecting climate change. I also agree that the United States could have handled the situation so differently. I also like your idea of obviously stating to the people what and who is causing the most change in climate change, so that they are more likely to want to fix it. Adding environmental education in schools would definitely add to a difference in climate change in the future, which would benefit every country. Great post!