Module 9

My diagram describes the events that led to the creation of the Copenhagen Accord and the effects of the accord. The creation of the Copenhagen Accord started because of the great amount of fossil fuels being burned all across the world. The burning of these fossil fuels put out an excessive amount of greenhouse gases into the atmosphere. These greenhouse gases then created climate change and were leading to global warming problems. Global warming is a global problem that is very difficult to reverse which is why each country needed to be a part of the change to actually make a difference and slow it down. Many countries were being difficult with agreeing to negotiations which is why the Copenhagen Accord was created. The Copenhagen Accord was created to get the other countries to agree to actions to fight global warming by lowering greenhouse gas emissions. The accord would make bigger, faster growing countries bound to certain rules. However, the accord threatens the UN negotiations with the richer countries.These threats have made many countries object the accord and that is where the US ran into problems.  To get these other countries to agree the US bribed and manipulated them by offering money to the poorest nations effected by global warming. There was also a distrust that countries would not keep there word. There were many countries on the fence after all this dishonesty and manipulation from the US but 116 countries ended up agreeing with the accord. 26 other countries have agreed to associate themselves with the accord.

I think that the cables should be made public so there isn’t so much of an outcry after they are leaked. I also think that climate change and global warming isn’t taken as seriously as it should be. The whole world must work together to fight global warming because the efforts of a single country will not mean anything if many other countries continue their lives normally. When a large country like China is bound to the same rules as a smaller, poorer country there isn’t going to be a change. China is a huge country with many people and industrial areas and as it keeps growing and industrializing itself there will be much more greenhouse emissions created. China needs to have stricter rules binding it to fight against greenhouse gas emissions so that we actually have a chance against global warming. However, smaller countries also need to have strict binding rules and keep up with their end of the deal. Honestly, although it was wrong, I don’t think if the US hadn’t manipulated the other countries that anything would’ve been agreed to. Money talks and if the poorer countries hadn’t been offered/bribed money they probably still would never agreed to the accord. The US has created unnecessary distrust by this method but other countries need to be more acceptable to ideas that are for the greater good of the future. In the future the US should think more about international relations before it manipulates other countries.

geog030

2 thoughts on “Module 9

1. Hey Ashlee. My name is Tawnya and your post caught my eye. I thought your diagram was unique and it’s very easy to follow. I completely agree with your statement about the whole world working collectively towards the cause. Many people do not understand this is the biggest issue that faces our world today. In my post I also explained how I thought the United State’s actions were unethical and there are better ways to go about gaining allies. Great explanation and post in general! If you’re interested, you can check out my post here: http://geog030.dutton.psu.edu/2016/04/06/ix-ethical-climate-diplomacy/
    Thanks for your time!
    Sincerely,
    Tawnya

2. Ashlee,
    I agree with you that China has to have stricter rules that bind it to fight greenhouse gas emissions. They need to realize that their output is affecting not only their citizens lives but all citizens of all the countries of the world. I feel this issue doesn’t lie alone with China though, like we both agree this is a World Wide issue and everyone should be treated as such.
    I really did enjoy reading your blog. Please feel free to read mine:
    http://geog030.dutton.psu.edu/2016/04/08/wikileaks-climate-change/