Module 9 – Kevin Hosterman

kevinhostermanmodule9

My diagram is designed to show you how a lot of the base causes loopback to cause or reduce other things. For example, the top portion of my diagram starts with Greenhouse gases which led to the Copenhagen Accord, to climate mitigation which returns back to greenhouse gases again, however this time it is reducing it. It shows how depending on whether these greenhouse gases levels are rising or dropping affects climate change. The bottom half of the diagram explores the other side of greenhouse gases and how it affects the political scene. The high greenhouse gas levels leads to different solutions such as the copenhagen accord and how that benefits or hurts differing nations. For example the Copenhagen Accord didn’t offer many benefits for developing nations, but did benefit richer countries such as the U.S. The United States knew this which led to the wikileaks cables of the US spying, threatening, and offering money in order to gain support. Once they gained support it looks back to benefiting the US.

I think it is very important that the cables were made available to the public. It may be okay to hide certain sensitive information from the public that could cause harm, but when discussing a topic as global as climate change I don’t believe anything should be done in private. Climate change isn’t a problem for one nation, but should include every single person on this planet. I don’t agree with the way that the US went about conducting diplomacy with regards the the Copenhagen accord. A policy dealing with climate change should be beneficial to everyone and not just certain nations. It hurts everyone when you begin spying and threatening other people to do something to benefit yourself. A whole new policy should be written up and discussed publicly with any nation that wishes to join.

2 thoughts on “Module 9 – Kevin Hosterman

1. Hi Kevin, check out my blog post here: http://geog030.dutton.psu.edu/2016/04/08/wikileaks-mod-9-kyle-hoke/

I like your diagram and how straight forward it is. The links provide enough detail to show how each node is linked together. I agree with you that the leaks were very important. Climate change is an issue for the entire population so you are right in saying that the negotiations should not be private. I like your idea of drafting a whole new policy, because how can people trust a policy that resulted in some shady behavior?

2. Hello Kevin this is Lucas Skiba. I thought your blog post was interesting to me because I like how in your Diagram shows how the United States is benefiting overall. I agree with you on how the Accord only is in interest for richer countries and leaves the undeveloped countries to fend for themselves. Its hard to negotiate when were one of the biggest polluters and our money is so tied up in the industrial industry. Thanks for the post Kevin here is a link to my post.
    http://geog030.dutton.psu.edu/2016/04/08/lesson-9-climate-diplomacy-skiba-ljs5300/