Module 9 – Climate Change

Module 9

From the information that was gathered in the reading  assignment for this learning activity, I was able to create my systems diagram for the Copenhagen Accord. The main driving force in this diagram is the growing climate change stemming from increased greenhouse emissions and other pollutants. This led to the Copenhagen Climate Change Summit in 2009. From here, the United States was in support of the Copenhagen Accord, which needed more support from other countries in order for it to pass. In order to pass this, the United States sent intelligence agent and other diplomats to bribe other countries to be their allies in support of the bill. This led to 116 countries signing the proposed document to decrease emissions, with the total in support coming to 140 countries. This led to standards set by the accord that will be carried out by policies in individual countries. This leads to benefits for rich countries such as the United States that are able to adapt to these changes, but leads to developing countries not being able to upkeep these standards. After these events have taken place, this bribery and other unethical practices have come to light from the convention. This highlights how the United States is able to blackmail and bribe its way into getting its way on the international scale whenever it comes to new standards and agreements where they can reap as much reward as possible. This leads to many countries and the general population having a hostile attitude toward the United States that can lead to hostile environments that can cause consequences down the road.

I, personally, do not believe that the State Department cables should not have been released. I believe that they should not have been released to the public for a number of reasons. The first reason was because that it creates an hostile environment between countries that could break down negotiations and other diplomatic advances in relationships with the United States. Another reason is that some of the developing countries that were being bribed may not have had the financial stability of the United States in order to relieve pressure from the oil industry to get their source of energy, even though many of these negotiations were  unethical. Through these negotiations, however, the United States was able to gain over one hundred countries in support of the Copenhagen Accord in order to bring the global greenhouse emissions down as well as providing financials to other countries that have a high dependence on fossil fuels. On the other hand, by having these cables released, it creates a collective action solution to the increasing problem of climate change. The more informed that the general population becomes on the ever increasing problem of climate change, then the more people will want to step up and do their duty to help mitigate this problem by seeing that countries all over the world are taking steps to put a stop to this problem. In addition to this, the United States could have used the data that has been gathered over the years to build a strong case in support of this collective action instead of using bribes where it could have publicly provided financial support to developing countries. This could have also set the stage for the global issue in that the U.S. would have been at the forefront of curbing this problem.

2 thoughts on “Module 9 – Climate Change

1. Hi Justin. My name is Ben and I really liked your post. I was interested to see that you did not think that the cables should have been released because I had an opposing view. After reading your viewpoint however, I am much more open as to why you think that way especially since it did create a hostile environment between the countries. Here is the link to my post if you want to see my point of view. http://geog030.dutton.psu.edu/2016/04/09/ben-ceci-module-9-climate-change-copenhagen-accord/

2. Hi Justin, names Gershom and here’s my blog http://geog030.dutton.psu.edu/2016/04/09/module-9-leverage-is-key/. I agree that this specific leak shouldn’t be leaked to the public for my stated reasons although you had several that I hadn’t though of before. Though the U.S. is prolific in it’s emissions spree, I would like to see other developed nations specifically the U.K. or such take a leading role in climate change agreements. However, an interesting thing to note, is that the “emissions treaty in paris” celebrated at the time as a historical event (pure B.S. if you ask me) actually got worse over the length of the negotiations in that originally the emissions target reduct was like mid to high 20ish percent I believe then it actually went below that threshold. Another thing to note is that not many countries can blackmail or bribe the U.S. gov’t itself with money as our “dollar bill” is the de facto currency of the world so guess we are dealing from home turf.