Module #1 : Getting To Know You

Hello class my name is Lucas Skiba. I am from Boalsburg, Pennsylvania which is right outside of State College. I still currently live here and have lived here for 22 years. Some facts about me are I like to snowboard, skateboard, wakeboard, waterski, and skimboard. Pretty much if anything has something to do with a board, going fast, hitting jumps and rails you can count me in. Clearly I like the outdoors and am currently trying to pursue a career in Energy and Sustainability Policy, because  I love the environment and want to do what i can to sustain it. I am interested in Geography not because it is one of my prerequisites but because I love to travel and see the world from different points of views.

A big issue of today is world population. According to Worldometer.info in 1970 there was roughly half as many people as there is today. In the 20th century alone we went from 1.6 billion to 6 billion people. And the population is only going to keep getting bigger. Now you ask what does this have to do with Geography? Well it has everything to do with Geography, because the Scale of the earth is only so big. So we will need to figure out where were all going to live, how we will keep people from going hungry, what countries with grow and shrink/be taken over. The globalization of the world will only keep changing and growing, as will the diversity of our people and cultures.

One thought on “Module #1 : Getting To Know You

1. Hi, Lucas. I chose to respond to your post for two reasons: First, I saw that among the activities you enjoy is ‘snowboarding.’ I used to work for a company that makes snowboards and skis (Salomon) when I lived in Oregon. Another reason I chose to respond to your introduction is your interest in digging deeper into population and its relationship with how the world will change as more and more people put greater demands on resources. I, too, have an interest in where we’re headed. I’m most interested in learning ways that we can transform our means and rate of consumption to meet the needs of a rapidly growing world population. We all know about China and India, but what about places like South America and Africa? As technology reaches those areas, likely leading to longer lifespans for inhabitants, what will that mean for our global sustainability efforts? Fascinating stuff and I hope to get the answers with you and everyone else in the class. Welcome!
    https://wp.me/p3RCAy-aTq