Karolina Powell Lesson 2

The human-environment system presented shows the effect that a technology such as biogas use has on the social system and the eco system.  This system perspective is a very useful way to learn about all of the interactions that occur as a result of a chance such as biogas fuel.  Each arrow shown has an impact on the topic that it points to.  There are a few feedback loops shown in the systems such as the one that shows that increased education increases technology and increased technology increases the amount of time available for education.  As for Marten’s human-environment system, many of the same subjects are discussed.  For example, farms create animal dung which is then used in biogas generators and then used as compost back on the farms.  However there are clear differences in the social system.  Whereas Marten’s focuses largely on human population, mine focuses more on quality of life such as education, livelihood, and health.  Similarly, Marten’s system presentation discusses broader concepts such as irrigation water on the ecosystem side.  Therefore it is possible to have similarities and differences despite having the same topic because different viewpoints exist.  Therefore even factual evidence can be portrayed differently depending on the author and thus it is important to get multiple viewpoints for the same subject.

kwp5313 lesson 2

2 thoughts on “Karolina Powell Lesson 2

1. Hi Karolina! After looking at your diagram, I really liked how the lines themselves were in detail about the boxes. I also liked how, at least to me, you used Technology and Education as large factors into how your built your web. In my diagram, I focused largely on how Biogas tanks offered many different ways for families to make money and survive, similar towards how you integrated Education and Technology into your own. You can check out my link below if you have time. Finally, I think your diagram did a excellent job in demonstrating the connections of the Social System and the Ecosystem, with lines like “Biogas increases education time”

http://sites.psu.edu/geog30/2016/01/26/module-2-biogas-in-india/

2. Hi Karolina! I like how you covered areas such as technology and health in your diagram. These are areas that can be overlooked in the social system when comparing society to an ecosystem. These aspects are just as important as the surrounding ecosystem as both influence each other. Comparing our diagrams, I focused on the influence the environment has on society while yours focuses on the quality of life. We focused on different aspects, but it’s nice to see the different perspectives between our posts!

If you have the chance, check out my blog post: http://geog030.dutton.psu.edu/2016/01/26/module-2-laura-young/