Module 2: Coupled Human Environment Systems

biogas_diagram

The main idea of my diagram is to show the relationship between the social aspects and ecosystem in India and the impact of the biogas generator. The central idea of my diagram focused on how the Biogas Generator decreased health problems and created compost and cooking fuel. Also, the idea of Fertilizer being created by compost lead to working women which, resulted in business which increased income for the people of India. By looking at the system I saw both positive and negative feedback loops. A positive feedback loop was that the biogas generators produced fertilizer which the women can sell, which created an increase in money. An example of a negative feedback loop was that when biogas was put in place, it created a negative feedback for the need of wood.

My diagram is similar to Marten’s reading “What is Human Ecology?” because both of our diagrams address how the social system and the ecosystem are constantly effecting each other. Our diagrams are also different because Marten’s diagram shows the much smaller details within the system while also showing the bigger picture. By comparing our diagrams, people are allowed to interpret the information differently, while still getting the main idea. Lastly, by understanding both diagrams, individuals are able to understand all the elements and how they effect one another.

One thought on “Module 2: Coupled Human Environment Systems

1. Hello Mara,

My name’s Steven and I also agree how the Biogas Generator created many opportunities for the women of India. The generator really benefited the people of India, allowing them to have a better life. I also really like the level of detail that your diagram went into. The arrows that indicate what led to what is a really helpful way to visually see how the generator came to be.

https://wp.me/p3RCAy-bcy